Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Gear engagement problem.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vecchio Alfisti
Alfasud

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 12:06 pm    Post subject: Gear engagement problem. Reply with quote

Today my Series 2 with 1.5 motor let me down. Shocked

I reversed out of a parking space and then could engage no other gear Sad

The car is locked into reverse. I cannot even disengage reverse. The gear lever moves and feels normal with all of the usual notches and clicks and feels like you are actually changing gear but nothing happens.

Any clues anybody Please. I am physically restricted at present so I do not wish to get involved with any wasted or futile athletic efforts to sort it. I did a search on these forums and came up with nothing, but I remember a couple of years ago a thread about some pin falling out of the gear lever linkage but I cannot find it. Mind you, this does not feel as though anything has fallen out. It feels more as though some datum has shifted.

Please help with your ideas.
Thanks
John
ZeNiTh-PbArM
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,

when you engage any of the four 1st gears, is the car stuck or does it still move in the reverse direction?

zp
Vecchio Alfisti
Alfasud

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZeNiTh-PbArM wrote:
hi,

when you engage any of the four 1st gears, is the car stuck or does it still move in the reverse direction?

zp

It still moves in the reverse direction. Sad Surprised Confused Or else it will not move at all and stalls the engine with some dreadful noises from the gearbox. Did that just once before I ceased and desisted vewry quickly.
John
ZeNiTh-PbArM
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,
the engine stalling tells you that the gearbox engages two gears (reverse and another one) at the same time. Hence the problem is due to an internal linkage failure.
Repair requires draining the oil and removing the gearbox sump. You'll have access to the gear selection mechanism. Look for damage around the 5th/reverse gear fork.
You're likely to find a broken fork or a broken/loose fork to rod attachment.
A pal working the shift lever from the inside of the car can help you understand the problem.
From what i recollect all of the internal selection mechanism can be dismantled and reinstalled from under the car, without the hassle of removing the box.
regards,
zp
Vecchio Alfisti
Alfasud

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That seems to make sense. Just went out and retested for an update. !st , 2nd 3rd and 4th gear all have the car immobile, ie two gears selected at once, 5th gear works, and reverse works. I am sure that things have changed but that is irrelevant.

If the selector forks or mechanism are stuffed then I see no option but to take the engine gearbox out of the car and fix it properly in the comfort of the garage. Fortunately I have a spare car for such eventualities, but I have a shortage of garage space which I have to address.

Thank you for the pointers

John
ZeNiTh-PbArM
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, from your symptoms it looks clear to me that all of the three fork rods and the selection finger are OK, otherwise interlock plungers would prevent engagement of any of the 1st four gears.
Th 5th gear working OK suggests that the culprit is the reverse fork to rod attachment : the pin must have broken.
If this is the case, repair does not require any engine or gearbox removal, just removing the gearbox sump from below the car will provide sufficient access to punch another pin straight in. Besides, having the box on the bench will not provide better access to the gear selection mechanism.

regards,
zp
Vecchio Alfisti
Alfasud

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZeNiTh-PbArM wrote:
Hi, from your symptoms it looks clear to me that all of the three fork rods and the selection finger are OK, otherwise interlock plungers would prevent engagement of any of the 1st four gears.
Th 5th gear working OK suggests that the culprit is the reverse fork to rod attachment : the pin must have broken.
If this is the case, repair does not require any engine or gearbox removal, just removing the gearbox sump from below the car will provide sufficient access to punch another pin straight in. Besides, having the box on the bench will not provide better access to the gear selection mechanism.

regards,
zp

Thanks ZP. My first thought was that a pin must have fallen out, but I was unsure where to look first. Will get the car up on stands hopefully tomorrow and see how we progress. I do not wish to do more than the minimum at present because I have recently had my hip broken and am adjusting to the full replacement and my mobility is restricted.
John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: