Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

red konis

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tone
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 11:43 am    Post subject: red konis Reply with quote

hi
i got some red rear konis (9202s) for my series 1 33
how do you adjust them ? , and what settings do you recommend ( on standard springs for now ! any tips for when i go to fit them !
thanks btw it says i got an arna by my name ! , i definately havent and never did ( or will!!)
Sergio
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I think you can adjust them by twisting them... Anyway I would just leave them on the original setting. It's great!! Very Happy

All the best

Sérgio
rallyboy77
Alfasud

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To adjust those konis you turn them clockwise while pushing all the way to the bottom and you will feel it "lock in"... once it is locked you can adjust them harder or softer (clockwise and anti-clockwise I think!?) Make sure you remember where you started.

Setting the rate is a bit of trail and error I think... just make sure you don't turn the koni above the rate of the spring, the shock is there to stop the spring oscillating. I like the rear to be a lot softer than the front, but thats just me.... Smile

Jez
BILL
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think only the yeloow KONIs are adjustable.
Sergio
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BILL wrote:
I think only the yeloow KONIs are adjustable.

Hi,

Both Yellow and red konis are adjustable. It's just that the red ones have to be adjusted out of the car, while some of the yellows come a Knob to adjust them in place... Don't think the ones for the 33 have this feature though Sad

All the Best

Sérgio
BILL
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i guess your right Embarassed ,
the front can be adjusted on the car but the rears have to be removed to adjust.
The previous owner of my 33 used the yellow in it but when i bought becoase the were worn enough and you could hear them knock i changed them with the ones the 16V uses(mine is a 14ie)and i can say im very pleased Razz
tone
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 10:48 pm    Post subject: adjusting konis Reply with quote

have shocks at bottom and try turning , cant seem to lock or engage anything ? do i have to really push to get it to lock?
they say adjustable on the side and the part numbers say 9202 and 80 2267
Maximilian
Alfasud

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out this pdf file: http://www.koni.com/_cars/_special/pdf/alfarome.pdf

The parts numbers for the red konis do not correspond with the numbers you're giving. The yellow dots are for the sports (yellow) konis.
rallyboy77
Alfasud

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No you press them to the bottom *whilst* turning, and they will lock in. The bottom is keyed so you have to turn whilst pushing to find the "sync" point. You don't need that much force, as long as they are down they will lock in.

I have Spax gas shocks at the rear, you simply unbolt the bottom plate, pull the shock down and then turn the adjusting screw, bit easier than the konis Smile I have yellow konis at the front though and they need to be removed to be adjusted... I've had them rebuilt 3 times, shock casings bent twice, but my Sud is a rally car Wink

jez
tone
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 11:42 am    Post subject: ok , have adjusted :) Reply with quote

hi
didnt realise at first that the one of the plates was threaded and i could remove it allowing the strut in furthur to engage the adjusting position , guess it stops it adjusting itself ,if it ever bottom out ?
thanks for all the help and for the koni part number list , do you know if they are for inserts only ?
will maybe try fitting this weekend hopefully will let you know how it goes !
rallyboy77
Alfasud

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if the shock bottoms out it will almost certainly break, i.e. smash the valves etc... your bump stop should stop that from ever happening. I have had it happen a few times then installed polyurethene bump stops, hasn't happened yet even after one huge landing on the front wheels...

jez Confused
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum