Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

leaky boot

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave_NZ
Alfasud

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 3:01 am    Post subject: leaky boot Reply with quote

I have found that when water runs down the side of the hatch/boot-lid, it flows over the rubber seal and into my boot. The seal is in good condition. Does anyone have any idea on how to fix this.

thanks

Dave
Jas
Alfasud

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 11:20 am    Post subject: seals Reply with quote

there's variety of tubes of stuff to put on the seals. I use siliglide, sorry I bought it in the states. But it's just a tanacious sort of vasaline type stuff. doesn't melt at temps in the sun and works well in the cold. see if you can find some thing like that at the auto store. keeps the seals in fine condition too. i've had the same tube for 4 years. works a treat.
Mixsynth
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My car (S2 SportWagon) has had a dreadfully leaky boot for years. I've tried all manner of things to try to fix it. When it's been standing outside in the wet overnight, I open the boot and find the little storage compartment on the left is very damp inside. I can often see water droplets on the carpeted wall. I had to move the CD changer because it was getting wet.

It might be the seal - I've just moved the bootlid latch as far down as it will go to make a tighter seal - but I have a feeling it might be the hole where the rear window washer nozzle comes out. If water gets through there I imagine it would end up in the storage compartment.
16V conversion pics/videos - now updated with extra pictures and explanations
Dave_NZ
Alfasud

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the ideas. I know that it goes between the seal and the boot-lid because i cleaned my car then opened the boot to see the water trail over the seal. crap

Dave
Gary UK
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remove rubber then put some tape over the metal lip then replace seal(this will raise the seal slightly, experiment with different amounts of tape) this might help.
Mixsynth
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't have thought this would make much difference? But this sounds like a good idea, I'll have a go at it too... might finally solve the water leak (and save me buying a new CD changer)
ChrisC
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 1:22 pm    Post subject: sgg Reply with quote

Water also likes coming in through the rear quarter light windows and running down interior trim into the boot...
Mixsynth
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What past the seal? That would seem to make sense. How is that repairable?
ChrisC
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 11:16 pm    Post subject: ad Reply with quote

Yup. a solution is to squidge in silicon sealant behind it - although before going to trouble potentially messing up window seals make sure it is there - if it is you will find it is wet down the inside of .. trying to remember what piece of trim it was... and i cant. but its a bit of trim that runs from the quarterlight area angled down to the boot.
Dave_NZ
Alfasud

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i must have a leak there too because i have found that there is a wet patch at the front of the boot. Sad

thanks for that

Dave
BILL
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mixsynth wrote:
My car (S2 SportWagon) has had a dreadfully leaky boot for years. I've tried all manner of things to try to fix it. When it's been standing outside in the wet overnight, I open the boot and find the little storage compartment on the left is very damp inside. I can often see water droplets on the carpeted wall. I had to move the CD changer because it was getting wet.

It might be the seal - I've just moved the bootlid latch as far down as it will go to make a tighter seal - but I have a feeling it might be the hole where the rear window washer nozzle comes out. If water gets through there I imagine it would end up in the storage compartment.

After examining my boot after a good car wash found that there were trails of water from the screws of the tail lights so i removed them put some silicone sealent arount the holes and put them back.
One hour later i pured water just to see that water was coming in from a hole from were the rear bumpers rack enters into the boot .I removed all the carpets and caps and saw that a plastick ring was leating the water to get inside,ive removed the bumper put silicone once more and put it back.After aquick test seams to be ok Very Happy.You can very easy see if its the same problem at yours case.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: