Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Engine Oil

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill, Melbourne.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 7:27 am    Post subject: Engine Oil Reply with quote

Hi All
I have a series 3, 33. done about 205,000 kms. I use Mobil 1
engine oil and have noticed that in the last few months it has been using a bit more than usual. I am thinking about changing to something a little thicker. Does this sound like the right thing to do? If so which oil should i change to.

Thanks
Jas
Alfasud

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 11:45 am    Post subject: oil Reply with quote

My car is a tad older than yours (86). But if I have the dedication, I'll change it three times a year. But usually it's only two times. Because we go from the 40's in the summer down to freezing in the winter in Melbourne it's important to have a summer and a winter weight change to your oil.
I use penrite HPR 40 for summer (25W-70 high viscosity), and HPR 30 (SAE 20W-60) for winter. You can choose an HPR 50 (40W-70) extra high viscosity for very hot conditions but never use it in winter.
Everyone has their own oil opinions.

-Jas
Jas
Alfasud

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 11:49 am    Post subject: oh Reply with quote

I forgot to ask, where's it going? out the exhaust? on the garage floor?
What colour are the plugs looking? compression? smoke on start up? etc.
bron
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 2:53 pm    Post subject: foamy oil Reply with quote

i opened up the oil cap the other day and everything was kind of foamy in there. i'm guessing this is a bad sign... any advice?
BILL
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: foamy oil Reply with quote

bron wrote:
i opened up the oil cap the other day and everything was kind of foamy in there. i'm guessing this is a bad sign... any advice?

if you see a white stuff like mayonaise in the oil cap then propably the coolant mixes with the oil by the head gasket,you must also been missing
coolant .One time i noticed mayo in my oil cap but i turned to be from the very high percenteges of humidity in the air (a very rainy december)but after the oil change in never appeard again
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: