Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

8v to 16v - to be or not to be? That is the question...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AL33NUT
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:31 pm    Post subject: 8v to 16v - to be or not to be? That is the question... Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

The question of if I should exchange my 8v for a 16v engine keeps on nagging me. Is the 16v engine really that much 'better' than the 8v engine?

Here's my dilemma:

- I mainly use my car for a 50 mile motorway round trip every other week. Occassionally I use it for short in-town trips.
- I don't rag it or push it very hard.
- I love the low-down torque of the 8v engine and would probably opt for more low down torque over top end bhp if it were a straight 'either/or' choice between the two.
- I love the sound of the 16v engine.
- Everyone seems to be making the upgrade from the 8v to the 16v but I don't simply want to follow the pack.
- My 8v engine is generally well looked after so can opt to rebuild it when the time comes
- My 8v engine has proved to be very reliable - I've owned the car for about 10/11 years.

So what do you guys think? Would you say it is worth the effort of seeking a 16v (unknown) engine over my 8v engine? If yes - why? If no - why?

By the way my car is a series 3 33 (with 16v bodykit).

Thanks,
AL33NUT
33bits
16 Valve

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nnamdi, the 16v lump is more powerful & faster, but in my experience it's less reliable then the 8v. Don't get me wrong it is a reliable engine but not quite as trouble free as the ie lump you have now. it's not to hard to do the upgrade from 8v to 16v but i dont think it's worth the expense if you currently have a healthy engine. Maybe do it if yours ever blows up (i've only ever seen 1 ie lump go bang & that was due to an oil channel prob). It's not just the engine you would need to change, also front cross-menber, ECU, wiring loom, 16v front brakes would be sensible too. The gearbox is the same 8v to 16v. Also all the things that go with the engine would be needed, air-flow meter, crank sensor ect.
If you ever do want to go for the 16v route then i can supply you with everything needed, but i would think about if it's worth it first sir.
Hope this helps.
33 16v (for sale)
156 JTS sportwagon
contact me for any 33 parts. Alex, 07896-327708
AL33NUT
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:58 pm    Post subject: Sounds sensible... Reply with quote

Yes, that sounds the sensible thing to do. Would still like to hear opinions thoug although I know you are ultimately right.
Sudmeister
Alfasud

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya,

I think it mainly boils down to how you're gonna drive it: If you like driving it hard and spend a fair bit of time above 5000 rpm then the 16v rewards with that bit more power, but if you prefer to drive it on the torque then the 8v gives more effortless performance. And as Alex says, switching to 16v isn't an easy change to make, it brings with it a host of secondary issues.

For me, I'd be inclined to run it as an 8v for the time being, perhaps look at exhaust/breathing options if you want to improve the sound, and when you come to rebuild the engine look at going for an over bore to 1.8 - That would probably match the power of the 16v without relinquishing the torque.

Keep us posted though on what you do and how it goes,

John
AL33NUT
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:30 am    Post subject: Good thinking... Reply with quote

Sudmeister,

Thanks for your advice - I like your thinking. I especially like the idea of overboring the engine. I've installed a stainless steel (cat back) sports exhaust and changed the airfilter for a K&N replacement filter (in the existing box). It sounds good. There's a guy I know that highly recommends going for a crossover manifold (undecided about this). Not sure about the gains to be had from this but the engine sound is awesome apparently (maybe when I'm feeling flush). I'll keep you posted.

Thanks bud!
AL33NUT
lee16v
16 Valve

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 8v is certainly no slouch. I remember the first time I met up with Bob before SAD 2006 and he led the way in his 140,000 or so miles ie and I had a job keeping up!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:06 pm    Post subject: For sure! Reply with quote

Thanks Lee16v. Yes the 8v definately isn't a slouch and that low down torque is addictive. Can you imagine if Alfa continued development of then boxer engine. Imagine the gems that would be available now. Still the fact that they didn't makes ours that more precious (to us anyway).

Happy New year in advance to everyone!

Cheers,
AL33NUT
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum