Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

ECU problem on Subaru

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RFlower
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:16 pm    Post subject: ECU problem on Subaru Reply with quote

Hope this is not the wrong place for this post....

A good friend in England recently bought his wife a rather nice looking 1998 Subaru Legacy Outback (on eBay), to replace her even older Subaru.

5 days later it just stopped, far from home, of course.

Like myself, he has fixed his own transport all his life, but I think this is the first car he has ever had with an ECU, and having got it home again he is struggling somewhat. His wife is getting a bit annoyed too.

It has carbs, so I'm not sure myself just what the ECU does, and he is finding it difficult to get any information. There seems to be confusion over models around 1998 as to what market specs they were built to, and he is not sure if it's UK, Australian or other RHD spec or a grey import.

He sent the ECU for checking to someone on eBay, but, as I expected, they pronounced it "unrepairable".

Does anyone here know of a really good and honest place for ECU testing/repair, or have any knowledge about Subarus?

Dick
Dick Flower, Nr. Carcassonne. '94 Trofeo 1.4 ie (F), '93 Imola 1.3/1.4 ie (now for breaking) (F), '91 1.7 ie (GB)(spare car), '86 Sprint 1.5 QV (F). '87 VW Syncro camper (F), '73 NSU Ro80 (F), '99 Fiat Seicento (F)
BigAl
P4

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey dick,
One of the guys in Formula One was an avid scooby owner / modder. I will ask him on Monday and about ECU testers. Bosch do a test/repair service, whast make of ECU is it?
RFlower
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot

Make of ECU is UNISIA JECS CORPORATION

Dick
Dick Flower, Nr. Carcassonne. '94 Trofeo 1.4 ie (F), '93 Imola 1.3/1.4 ie (now for breaking) (F), '91 1.7 ie (GB)(spare car), '86 Sprint 1.5 QV (F). '87 VW Syncro camper (F), '73 NSU Ro80 (F), '99 Fiat Seicento (F)
john 33_16v
16 Valve

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked in scooby dealership up to 1988 when all cars were carbede or turbo carbed.

I would have thought injection would have come in by about 1990 though especailly for Uk cars for emmissions, certainly by '92.

I can recommend this place for ECU testing- http://www.middlesextuningcentre.co.uk/ I think you can send ecu to them etc etc.

John
08 Fiat Grande Punto Exotica Red
90 Yamaha FZR600 Genesis- Silky white/red/blue
RFlower
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems the new scooby has injection. The old one has carb engine.
Ben_nz
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You seem to know what you're talking about, but really? Factory carburettors, on a nineteen ninety-eight Subaru Legacy?
Maybe a Hindustan Ambassador or a Paykan (Iranian Hillman Hunter).. Shocked
RFlower
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben_nz wrote:
You seem to know what you're talking about, but really? Factory carburettors, on a nineteen ninety-eight Subaru Legacy?
Maybe a Hindustan Ambassador or a Paykan (Iranian Hillman Hunter).. Shocked

See my post immediately above yours Smile

I know nothing about Subarus. I bought my company's last carburated vehicle in May 1995, and they were still around after that.
My friend had just bought a 1998 Legacy, and I thought his ECU problem was with that, not with the ECU on his older Subaru (with carb)

I checked Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_EJ_engine#EJ25D and found this information, showing they were still producing carb engines up to 2006:

EJ16
Usage:
· Impreza 93-94 (JDM only) GC4 series
· Impreza 93-06 (Europe & Middle East)
· Impreza 93-97 (Australia)
[edit] Specifications
· Displacement: 1597 cm³
· Bore: 87.9 mm
· Stroke: 65.8 mm
· Compression Ratio: 9.4:1 - 10.0:1
· Valvetrain: SOHC
· Fuel Delivery carburetor

Although Legacies seemed from the list to all have had injection, I thought maybe they had fitted carbs for some markets, and his car was possibly an import.

There is a whole world of cars beyond New Zealand Very Happy
RFlower
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update on the Subaru problem.

Turns out there was about 5 litres or so of what looks like antifreeze mix in the fuel tank. Now hopefully all removed by draining and fitting a water separator. The whole fuel system had to be cleaned out also.

Apparently the green liquid came from the tank of the last petrol station. He didn't take a sample immediately after he broke down, so it's impossible to prove.

Just a couple of weeks later, on the way to collect the Trofeo, my pride and joy, the Ro80, stopped about a km down the road after buying 50 litres of petrol, a long way from home.

After an hour checking the engine (cold, windy and raining, of course) it occurred to me there might be something wrong with the fuel. It smelt OK, although the exhaust smelt oily, but I thought that would be too much of a coincidence.

2 days and a lot of cash later it turned out that the Super 95 tank in the petrol station had been accidentally filled with diesel.

I'm now arguing with an insurance company about possible damage to my engine's rotor seals after standing with diesel in it over a weekend, and wondering if one should take a sample of fuel before filling up.

Fortunately, this time, the garage which recovered the car and eventually drained the tank has a sample of about 70 litres.

I'm putting a glass jar in the boot of each car.
paulhide
P4

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's just scary!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: