Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Exhaust set up

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Errol
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 3:31 am    Post subject: Exhaust set up Reply with quote

I was wondering which would be the best exhaust set up to get power out of a 33. My mechanic suggest i go from the catalyst back ( not should if i should change the cat ) and change the muffler box with a tip. Any ideas?
Falken 195 low profile
K&N Pod filter
Cannon 2inch exhaust from cat-back with 3inch tip.
xris
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went for a set of extractors, then to a 2 1/4" ss exhaust.

Gave me an extra 5 or so kw at the wheels. And it makes the car sound and rev harder.
Eddie W
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xris.
Would tou have the pipe diameter and lengths.
Thanks Eddie
xris
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cant remeber off the top of my head, i bought these extractors years ago now back in 2000 i think? the end pipe is 2" (or so it connects to my 2 1/4" exhaust) the smaller pipes are aroud 1.5 inch each i think or 11/4" its not good for a lowered car as the extractors go under the sump and hit shit if your not careful Wink
Adam H
Alfasud

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And are these extractors available for anyone to buy?

I'll be looking for something like this in a few months time - did you get them made to order or was it off the shelf? What was your suppliers name?
xris
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i bought them from a dealer in canberra act. cant remember the name theres a link on my webpage http://alfa33qv.tripod.com its not turin imports its the other link. It was a spare set of extractors from a race car Smile i payed $285 i think might have been more?
Eddie W
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xris ,
Did you lose any torque with this set up?
Eddie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys,

xris, those extractors youve got there look almost identical to the ones I got on my Sud, except mine stack one on top of the other before they go into the collector, if that makes any sense. My uncle built mine for his 1600 race engine, then I scored them for my 1.7. Gave not a lot of bottom end increase but damn it improved top end and now itl rev a lot harder.

Cheers,

Richard
sudman
Alfasud

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops. forgot to log in. last post was mine.

Richard
xris
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No way would you lose any torque, freeing up the restrictive stock manifold to a 4/2/1 exhaust will increase the performance. Straight away there was noticable difference the car would rev easier etc. I dragged a worked gemini 2.ltr in it Cool
sudman
Alfasud

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah the old exhaust I had was way restrictive. That was the original 105hp 1500 headers, cos the 1700 ones wouldnt clear the inboard brakes!
As for dragging things.... its easy, most boy racers laugh at you until you disappear off into the distance. I've claimed a few 1800 turbo Mazda 323 GTXs before.... guess the neon lights just dont give that much of a power increase!
lesthegringo
Alfasud

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 12:44 pm    Post subject: Crossover manifold Reply with quote

The photo is of the elusive 'crossover' type manifold, that links the no 1 cylinder and the no 2 cylinder instead of no 1 and 3. This is supposed to give a better exhaust extraction characteristic through evening out the exhaust pulses.

The theory is that it should aid bottom end power without losing any top end. The fact that there seemed to be no increase in bottom end and seems to breathe better at the top end I would put down to the manifold primary pipe diameters being on the large side.

Slightly smaller diameter primaries would probably beef up the bottom end, and I'm sure you wouldn't notice any loss in the top end that you gained with the bigger pipes.

I'm curious as to the way that it sounds..... the 'classic' boxer buzz and zing is in my opinion one of the great things about these cars, and I'd be interested to know if these exhaust manifold alter the way the engine sounds. A recording of it would be interesting to hear.

Les
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum