Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Wheels

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sudman
Alfasud

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 5:10 am    Post subject: Wheels Reply with quote

Hey,

Can anyone tell me of any 15 or 16 inch wheels available off the shelf (or better still if anyone has any for sale!) in NZ to fit a Sud??? I go into tyre shops and all I seem to get is blank looks and "why do we want to waste our time with that old pice of shite" attitudes.

Cheers,

Richard
Eddie W
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard
All the wheel shops seem to be pushing that chrome crap these days !
I too am looking for 15s to fit 195/50 profiles. After some research I believe that anything under a 50 profile is not compatable with the alfa suspension .Many alfisti believe this is allready too low .I have been told that the wheels off a 2litre 164 had a 4bolt pattern and are 15s.Some mag and tyre shops have offered me stes to fit the alfa but outside my budget, so there are some around. A few of the guys in aussie are on Advantis, which is a brand available here. The other possability is to have 100pcd wheels slotted 1mm on a mill which would then fit.the tapered seat would also have to be recut . Let me know if you have any joy.
Eddie
micap
Alfasud

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Azev makes their rims after your own wishes. This means you can get the exact offset and pcd you want. http://www.azev.de

ex 89 1.7 QV
now 85 1.5 QV with 1.7 engine.
Scott Sander
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

What about some Simmons rims http://www.simmonswheel.com.au/.

You can get them in NZ, although they may take some time as they are made to order. In OZ the quoted lead-time to me was 4 weeks although I had mine in 2.5 weeks.

You can then specify what you want, within reason.

Another reason to buy Simmons rims is that Tony Simmons is an AROCA member. He also has a passion for rims.
Peter D
Alfasud

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 7:50 am    Post subject: Wheels Reply with quote

You can use a lot of different wheels.

You just use the special off-set bolts to change the 4 x 100 mm to 4 x 98 mm. Then you can use all the wheels for VW Golf, BMW and more.

This principle is used by the best manufacturer (BBS and OZ) so it is a sound method, as long as you also use the centerhole for fixing (should be 58,6 mm on an Alfasud. You can often get loose rings to insert).

The problem when you go beyond 185/60-14 is that the space in the rear wheelhouse is very restricted. At the inside the wheel will touch the rearward facing arm in the suspension, and on the outer side it will touch the body.

When using 7x15 with 195/50 the limit for off-set will be about 33 mm. If larger it will touch the suspension. With 7,5x16 and 195/45-16 the limit is about 28 mm. But in both cases you will have to modify the body a little.

You can take a look at one of my cars on

http://www.8ung.at/alfasud/asus38e.html

Ciao
Peter
Matt Stolton
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 9:02 am    Post subject: DON'T USE WOBBLY BOLTS Reply with quote

I would not recomend using "bodge bolts" to make your 100 PCD wheel fit the 98 PCD hub. Just get 98 PCD wheels, with normal bolts.

You have to consider the stress these bolts are under, under normal conditions. Then consider the forces involved as you cain it around a tight roundabout, and suddenly the whole idea of bodged wheel nuts seems a little scary.

I have got OZ superturismo with 195/45 R15 yokos on my P4. The rims are 7J, with an ET of 34 (from memory). This all fits fine, although the centre bores had to be removed and machined to 58.5mm, as they were originally on a lancia Dedra, which has a 58mm centre bore. It cost me GBP10 for the machining, so not expensive. Fitting these wheels did not involve any spacers, wheel arch mods (I have dropped the car 35mm as well) or untold anguish.

From experience on my 8V s2 car, the 195/45 R15 profile works well, with little perceived loss of speed, top end, due to drag, but lots of extra sideways and braking grip. the 45 profile is happy enough with 33 style suspension so I wouldn't worry too much.

Further more the 195/50 R15 is about 3mm overall larger than standard, whereas the 195/45 is actually slightly smaller, giving less stress on the transmission, slightly better acceleration, slightly worse MPG, and a slightly slower top speed. However, top speed doesn't seem to change that much, as the engine seems able to spin a little more (at least it did on my 8V s2).

Check out Italian wheel manufacturers, they all do 98 PCD, and just hunt about a bit. If some wheel shop doesn't want your money, tough shit on them, find a company who does want it. </soapbox>

Matt

Ex Alfa 33 'GTA' (P4 with Knobs On)
Now cruising in a 166 3.2 Ti!!
xris
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a set of momo GT2's from an momo dealer, just asked what wheels did they have that fit the alfa 33 4x98 stud pattern. it was these and a couple of others, these looked the best so i got them $3575 later Cool
BILL
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be carefull when change the rims and have the original spare tyre in your car allways have 4 extra bolts for the spare becoase the new ones might be very long and could <lock> the wheel Smile
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Check

http://www.alfa-pages.co.uk/offsets.htm

Most Italian cars seem to use 4 stud 98mm PCD. (even Maserati with the early Biturbo I think).

All the best

Keith
Matt Stolton
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 8:42 am    Post subject: As well as.... Reply with quote

Lada Riva and Samara are 4x98 PCD, as well as early Seat Ibiza (pre93) and Malaga.

Don't forget, all Fiats (apart from the Ulyses 5x98 People lorry) are 4x98PCD, and all 4 stud lancias are 98PCD.

I fancy a set of Riva 13" steels on my Alfa....... The style

Matt

Ex Alfa 33 'GTA' (P4 with Knobs On)
Now cruising in a 166 3.2 Ti!!
sudman
Alfasud

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lada..... funny you should mention those. The 14" ROH wheels on my car actually came off a samara.... u can just about see em in the pic on the side i think. only paid $150NZ for them, from a wrecker, he thought they wouldnt fit anything else!

Richard
Eddie W
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard
Still looking myself with not much sucess.Like to know how your getting on .A friend saw a sud in Auck. recently with 15s in telephone dial pattern so there must be something Alfa that fits. I`ll let you know if I come up with something .
Regards Eddie
Peter D
Alfasud

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 8:06 am    Post subject: Wheels Reply with quote

The telephone dial wheels (12 holes) must have been the Ronal A1.

You could get them in

5.5x13, e38
6x14, e38
7x13, e20
7x15, e25 (both 4 and 5 bolt)

But it is 20 years since they manufactured the last ones, so you will ofcourse not be able to buy such new ones.

Peter
Eddie W
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Pete,but I doubt any Ronals made it to NZ. I would give my eye teeth for a set! The way these wheels were discribed to me they had a raised lip around the circular holes,which sounds very alfa and were definitely 15s. My friend double checked as he knew I was looking for some. Any further info gratefully recieved Smile
Regards Eddie
Peter D
Alfasud

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 7:30 am    Post subject: Wheels Reply with quote

Hey Eddie

There are two types of Alfa wheels with raised lips around the (almost) circular holes.

It is the wheels for late Alfa 164 Super and the early model of the modern Alfa GTV and Spider. They are normally 6,5x16" and 5-bolt, but I think that you can also get them in 4-bolt, because the Alfa 164 Super Twin Spark had 4-bolt suspension.

The other Alfa-wheels with the same caracteristique are the wheels for the latest model of the Alfa 155 Super (not Sport because they had black/grey 5-spoke Speedline). When you asked for alu-wheels on the wide-body Alfa 155 Super, you got 6,5x15" wheels with round holes with raised lips around. They are actually better in design than the ones mentioned above for the 164/GTV/Spider. They are also definately with 4 bolts.

If you try to use the abovementioned wheels on older Alfa's, you should remember, that you have to grind the center hole from 58,1 mm to 58,6 mm to make them fit.

I hope that this will be to some help for you.

Greatings

Peter
Eddie W
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Peter.
Useful info. I will keep searching as I have two cars I want to put on 15s. I already have the tyres for daughters car and need wheels badly as the existing wheels were all bent badly when it got stolen Evil or Very Mad
Regards Eddie
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum