Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Head Gaskets

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul Doc
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 7:28 pm    Post subject: Head Gaskets Reply with quote

Been offered a 1.5ie with a pretty definite blown head gasket. Any advice before I provoke the wrath of the girlfriend and bring home another broken Alfa? How tricky to remove the heads with the engine in? Why do the gasket set quotes I got this afternoon range from £40+vat to £70ish? Any help would be appreciated!
Scott Sander
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long has it been blown for? Is it a bargain price you are being offered? What's the mileage like on the vehicle?

Lucky it is not a 16V as that would be harder to do "in car", although have never attempted it "in car" myself, but it can be done.

The cost of the gaskets can vary, as some are not genuine sets, go genuine it's worth it.

Also consider doing both sides and recondition the heads, valve grind, stem seals, etc. Replace the cam belts while you are at it and maybe chuck in a new water pump.

Although it depends on what you plan on doing with it, keep it or sell it as a working car?

Hey if the girlfriend is used to you bring home broken alfa's then it should not be a problem or it could be the one that breaks the camels back.
sudman
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey hows it goin???

Taking the heads off in car is pretty simple, I've just done it in my sud. Take off all the intake manifolds etc. exhaust and drain the water, then its just a matter of undoing the head bolts.
Before you take the heads of turn the engine to TDC, then take the heads off with the bolts in place, because they dont clear the chassis rails, as they are too long.
Its also easier to do it with the radiator out, as it aids taking off cambelts and suchlike.
Be careful, once the cambelts are off, not to turn the cam pulleys, as there is a danger of valve and piston contact, resulting in bent valves (that sucks!)
As for a gasket set I was able to pick one up here in NZ for around $120 so 40 pounds would sound aboput right I guess.

Good luck

Richard
Paul Doc
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice guys.The car's free,has done 65,000 (speedo still works!), has three months MoT left and has had timing belts, an exhaust and clutch in the last year. It's also got unusual 13" Speedline alloys with almost new tyres, a rear spoiler and front fog lamps. Really it would be to keep Her out of my 'Sud! I'm sure she'll go for it if I tell her the injection makes it faster...
Was quoted £45inc. this morning from my local Alfa dealer for a genuine full, both sides, gasket set!
johnboy
16 Valve

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Head Gaskets Reply with quote

[quote="Paul Doc"] £40+vat to £70ish?

Hi,
i'm in the prosess of doing the gasket's on my 16v conversion and the chap's are right.you do the job in the car,it's just a bit fiddley.as for the price,i got one from WAD ALFA for £10 + vat,but i did beat him down from £15 which is nice,there number is 01902401711, but i did by a 16v head as well cos i bent all eight valve's.all the quotes i have got have been between £15-20 each.good luck with it.
all the best,
john the engine killer Cool

Alfa gt jtdm blackline
1990 S2 16v veloce sleeping!
2002 ts gtv the wifes now
1997 seadoo gsx 800
1999 freestyle superjet
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

It isn't too bad a job to change the head gaskets on an 8V engine without dropping the engine out, but I wouldn't try on a 16V car.

The only real problem is getting a torque wrench on the head. Alfa supply a special tool to make it easier:-

Without this you will have a hell of a job getting the torque wrench in place. I managed it with a 1.3 Sprint, but couldn't manage it with a 1.3 hydraulic tappet series 3 33.

All the best

Keith
johnboy
16 Valve

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Admin"]Hi
It isn't too bad a job to change the head gaskets on an 8V engine without dropping the engine out, but I wouldn't try on a 16V car.

Hi there,

i'm in the process of doing the gasket's on my 16v conversion,as i've bent the valve's which you mite have read about,you can do it in the bay,you have to undo the main engine mount,then the cross member on what ever side you are doing and lower it down with a jack so you can get to the three bottom head bolt's.plus if it's still a bit tight,undo the middle mount on the cross member and you can slide the engine over about an inch or so.that's how i did it and it work's just abit fidderly.but i think it's better than dropping the hole engine Cool hope that help's you chap's, all the best john Cool

Alfa gt jtdm blackline
1997 seadoo gsx 800
1999 freestyle superjet
Adam H
Alfasud

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John

Do you have small hands? I've tried to change plugs on my 16v and had big problems as I can't fit my hands between the heads and the sides of the engine bay. (Large hands!)

Do you have the right tools or are mmy hands just too big to change the heads on my car?

Adam H
johnboy
16 Valve

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Adam H"]John

Do you have small hands?

Hi adam,

don't think so,it could be because of the stiffening bar's on the sides of the engine bay in your car? what you could do is undo the centre mount on the cross member and you should a able to move the engine over acouple of mill's, mite help or just use the FORCE! Laughing try putting the plug socket and short exsension on first that's how i did it.hope that help's.

i see im now an alfa sud happy with that Cool that was my first alfa 1.3 ti.!!
that was the start of my madness with alfa's and doing my mate's head's in,talking about them all the time Cool

Alfa gt jtdm blackline
1997 seadoo gsx 800
1999 freestyle superjet
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: