Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Non working 33

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Finnland
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 5:46 pm    Post subject: Non working 33 Reply with quote

Hi!
I have a wierd problem with my 33. It just refuses to start! I have fuel and checked that the plugs spark. Plugs and leads are new and 11.4 V reach the coil. HELP!!

Alfa 33 1.5 QV
2xweber carbs
Marelli ignition

oo-v-oo
Matt Stolton
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 8:47 am    Post subject: 11.4V is way too low Reply with quote

Your battery is stuffed.

If it is reading less than about 12.3V, at least one cell is dead. I presume the starter motor is not spinning, or if it is, not very well.

If your battery takes a charge, which it doesn't loose, you may have a dodgey alternater, or a dodgey lead from alternator to battery.

Give us some more info, and we'll have a think......

Matt

Ex Alfa 33 'GTA' (P4 with Knobs On)
Now cruising in a 166 3.2 Ti!!
Finnland
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The starter motor is spinning ok but the engine is just not firing. The voltages where measured after a long session of trying to get it to start. Razz I'm starting to suspect that the ignition module is fried but how do i check this?

oo-v-oo
Matt Stolton
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 9:00 am    Post subject: Silly idea Reply with quote

You said the plugs and leads are new, have you put the right lead on the right place, for the correct cylinder. From memory, with the engine at TDC (look for the mark on the flywheel) the rotor arm should point at cylinder ones HT lead. Then it is funny firing order time of 1-3-2-4 if memory serves (I'm sure I will be corrected if I am wrong). You may have a spark, but if it is firing on the wrong piston on wrong time, it won't work.

Matt

Ex Alfa 33 'GTA' (P4 with Knobs On)
Now cruising in a 166 3.2 Ti!!
dicko

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 4:28 pm    Post subject: Similar Reply with quote

I stupidly tried to startmy car with the coil to alternater cable disconected.... destroyed the module that is mounted under the coil, in theheat sink setup.
I figured it would be this or the coil... NRMA came .... used a replacement unit to test is the fault was in the ignition coil. a coil and module in a wooden box.... with some other nobs and bits.... the motor made a few strange jolts and turns but started..... ... could try a spare part if accessable... I ended up borrowing an exact unit from my other car... sud...

rich
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: