Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Engine oil and ignition

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kristjan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 1:34 pm    Post subject: Engine oil and ignition Reply with quote

Hello to everybody

I`m currently using Mobil1 5w-50 engine oil but the problem is that it is leaking from the head gasket . The oil is coming out between the gasket. It is not leaking to the coolant system or to the cylynder so I`m not sure if using different grade of oil would solve the problem or should I change the head gaskets. They are both Alfa original and changed few thousand miles ago, head bolts have been also tightened.
The second problem came yesterday evening when there was no spark at all. I drove the car yesterday on race track and there was no sign of any problem and in the evening when i wanted to go for a ride there was nothing .Any thoughts before I go to buy new ignition system.
Spark plugs and leads are new ones also the distributor cap and rotor arm, might it be the coil
The engine is 1490 cc 95bhp 301,28

Thanks in advance
Kristian
82 Alfasud Sprint Veloce Trofeo
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

If the oil is leaking it is only likely to get worse. Afraid I think you are going to have to budget for replacing the head gaskets again.

All the best

Keith
Eddie W
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI kristian
First thing to check is that you`re getting power supply to the ign. Green wire from engine loom to coil and from there to electronics
Good luck Eddie
Kristian
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies
Yesterday took the hole ignition system apart and cleaned all the connections and all other stuff carefully then put it back together and it worked again. For the engine oil I understand that the grade is OK or .
Going to replace the gasket as soon as possible ,but I just dont understand what caused it to start leaking.

Kristian

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 9:45 am    Post subject: Oil Reply with quote

Hi Kristian

Remember that Your engine is from -70's and made for different oils..
Give a try for 10w-60 racing oils after gasket change, Your new engine is worth it.

TimoJ
sudman
Alfasud

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

Did you re-torque the head bolts after the cars first hot run? I have been told, (and the haynes manual says) to retorque them, manual says after 200 or so miles, but most have told me to let the car get hot, then let it cool right down and retorque the bolts. Supposedly stos the leaking oil prob you have, my car did this before I reconditioned the heads. I followed the above procedure and have had no drama whatsoever.

Let us know how u get on,

Richard
Kristian
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank for the replies
Its going to take 3 weeks to get the new gaskets. So is it ok if I drive the car during that time or shoud I leave it in the garage till I get the new head gasket.

Kristian

alexj
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kristian wrote:
So is it ok if I drive the car during that time or shoud I leave it in the garage till I get the new head gasket.

If there is no water getting into the oil and no oil getting into the water, then I can't see the harm in driving it.

As for the oil type, the original oil recommended for the boxers was a 5W50 (at least that's what it said in the owners manual for my 1980 Sprint Veloce), but that was probably not a synthetic. Going to a thicker oil may have some merit - often in an older/worn engine (use a 20W50 myself) but oil leaks isn't the usual reason.

Some people say that if you run a car on a mineral oil for a long time then change to synthetic it can result in leaks. Others say that was only a problem with the additive package in early synthetics. However, with brand new head gaskets, that shouldn't apply in any case.

Rgards, Lex
1982 Alfasud Ti 1.5
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: