Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

How does the handbrake lever rod attach to the button?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbg
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:29 am    Post subject: How does the handbrake lever rod attach to the button? Reply with quote

My handbrake on my '88 33 no longer ratchets on, and the WoF (MOT) people aren't happy with my block of wood across the front seats to hold the lever up Very Happy

The button appears to have flown off at some point. I found it in the driver's footwell and the spring underneath the driver's seat.

I took the rubber gaiter off and there is a rod sticking through the middle of the handbrake lever with a plastic stopper half-way along it. I assume the spring goes between that stopper and the button, but how does the button attach to the end of the rod? There is a small hole in the button, which matches the end of the rod, but it's not threaded. Was it welded/soldered on!?
eagle3
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's quite easy to remove the handbrake lever. I'd take it off and have a good look at it.

It sounds like it's knackered but it's quite a standard piece of kit. The one on my Citroen C15 looks identical. You might find one in good nick at a breaker's.
jbg
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not knackered -- the only fault was that the rod was no longer attached to the button. It does look like it was tack welded, although that might have been a previous owner repair and not like that from the factory.

I Araldited the rod to the button, put it all back together and it's working fine now. Thanks.
mg907
Alfasud

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I had a similar issue, and I solved with a stain welding between the button and the rod. But it was not easy. First I had to make a hole in the center of the button, and I passed the rod through it for few millimeters. Then I cut the end of the rod in the sense of its length and gave it the shape of a Y. Finally I welded the button with the rod (externally) with a good stain solder wire. It still works fine after 2 years.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: