Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

16V heads required.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> For Sale & Wanted
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Edward
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 11:48 pm    Post subject: 16V heads required. Reply with quote

Help,

I know this sounds a strange one but I need to get hold of some 16v heads as the belt went on the drivers side of my P4. So I am either looking for a drivers side head or a matched pair. The strange thing is that I have a whole spare engine but it is 300 miles away and to have them taken off and posted would cost an arm and a leg. If anyone has any good ideas - such as a spare set of heads I could borrow - buy cheeply - I would be greatful.
Also, what parts do I need to do a head swap. Obviously head gaskets, pulleys, belts, but what else do I need before setting about the engine bay one long weekend??

Any tips would be greatfully received.
Scott Sander
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have also said valves but if you are replacing the entire heads you could be ok. I would want to recondition the heads before fitting them.

You should have a look at the pistons to make sure they are still ok and have not been cracked when the valves hit them.

You may also like to drop in a new water pump while you are there.

Are you planning on dropping the motor to do the heads?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott,

Thanks for your advice. If I take the head off and replace all of the bent valves how hard is it to change out the valve guides with I imagine will have been disturbed by having a valve stem forced against their side walls. Perhaps as you suggest it is better to repair the head, depending on the extent of the damage than replace it. That way would save a degree of extra work. I will check the pistons and replace the water pump. It wasn't me who owned the car when the belt went so I will try and get the head off soonish to see the extent of the damage.

What I will do is drop the engine lower and to one side by lowering on to the jack. It is a P4 so I understand it makes it slightly less desirable to take the engine out in its entirety as the advice is not to disturb the rear gearbox drive connection.

Thanks,

Edward.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> For Sale & Wanted All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: