Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Tight bush . . . . .

View previous topic :: View next topic  
StescoG66
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:48 am    Post subject: Tight bush . . . . . Reply with quote

Now that I have captivated your attention with a catchy thread title, the problem is altogether more prosaic . . . . Although lube will likely still be involved in the solution :rolleyes:

I purchased - from 2 separate sources just in case - replacement rear trailing arm bushes as the ones that came off the car had the texture of a digestive biscuit. However despite checking, double checking and triple checking they are too big by some 2.5mm. The part number appears to be the same for these across Sud, Sprint and up to 907b series 33.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400110040634?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

The inner diameter on the arm is 42mm, the outer diameter of the bushes I have is 44.2mm. They simply won't fit as they are. So far I have tried

1- Compressing in on a 6 tonne press. Result - one burst bushing . . .
2- Putting bushing on to a bolt to act as a spindle, and with a bench grinder trying to take some excess material off. They seem to get wider the more I grind them . . . . . . heat presumably.
3- Again using a bolt as a spindle, clamp a drill into a vice with the bolt held in the chuck. Try to grind off while spinning with a file or a wood chisel. Again not making any visible or measurable impact.

I am sure I am not the only one to have encountered this, so am I doing something stupid and missing the obvious? What did anyone else do on their projects? Would heating the arm and freezing the bushes perhaps help?

Any advice appreciated.
Shocked
Johnpm1967
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have exactly the same issue? I gave up as I was they were for my son's 33 (see dead car back on road) which is currently being rebuilt. I even tried carefully sanding a couple of mm off. I assumed it was my fault and would check really really carefully in future. I have about 3 sets of trialing arms so I am not sure where I made the mistake. When I get to that point in the rebuild I am going to go for poly bushes. They must fir one of my sets of arms.
Ian M
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once tried and failed to fit a new set of these
They are an absolute pig to press in, I take it you are fitting the standard original rubber bushes.
If so I suggest you buy a set of poly bushes.
Very easy to fit and last forever
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum