Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

first start of rebuilt engine!

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RBL
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 1:37 pm    Post subject: first start of rebuilt engine! Reply with quote

I've just re-fitted my rebuilt 1.7 8v engine (from my old '89 Sprint) into the Porsche spyder replica I'm building.

(http://www.pbase.com/550joe/owner_spyders. Mine's the uncompleted one at the bottom - click on pic for more details ).

Now I've fitted the engine I want to start her up to check she starts/runs ok (finger crossed!) but I haven't fitted the cooling system yet. Would it be ok to start and run it for a few minutes without any coolant in the system? I really want to hear it start up!

Obviously the water pump will be spinning but there'll be no water in engine. If the thermostat isn't supposed to kick in 'till 81-85 degrees I should be ok shouldn't I??

thanks, Rich
rjbevan
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were you I wouldn't try it without coolant in the engine. There would too much of a temptation to not stop! Why don't you plumb everything up but just connect the radiator hoses together (i.e. no lines to the front of the car).

Richard
Ian M
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally wouldnt riskit.
Just think how you would feel after spending all that time and money and then damaging it for a moment of impatience.
graeme
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 3:39 pm    Post subject: Rebuild Reply with quote

I just fitted my 16v after rebuild. I didn't connect any hoses or put any water in or connect the exhaust before I knew it would start and run JUST FOR A FEW SECONDS. Then I connected the stuff up.
BILL
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DONT TRY IT!! You will do more damage than good(the sound of the engine working).It takes seconds for an engine to overheat and you will have to rebuild it again. It wont be more than half an hour to connect all the hoses and the radietor .The thermostat needs coolant to work or else how it knows the temp Question
BILL
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuild Reply with quote

graeme wrote:
I just fitted my 16v after rebuild. I didn't connect any hoses or put any water in or connect the exhaust before I knew it would start and run JUST FOR A FEW SECONDS. Then I connected the stuff up.

You are lucky you didnt get a fire in your garage without the exhaust.From what i know its very difficult for an engine to start and then idle right without the exhaust(no buckpressure Question im not sure).
Anyway the damage that has been done inside the engine is not noticesable from the begining,is comes out later.
graeme
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 11:08 pm    Post subject: Rebuild Reply with quote

Didn't let it idle. Just made sure it fired. That's like 2 seconds. There's a lot of cast iron that would't get slightly warm in that time. After full assembly the engine then ran and reved supperbly, with no knocks, bangs or smoke.
RBL
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies - Yep! you're all right - it's not worth rushing it. I'll get the cooling system sorted first
Rich
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum