Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Starter problems

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
micap
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 8:51 pm    Post subject: Starter problems Reply with quote

Hey there

I have experienced a problem with my new 33 a couple of times now. When I try to turn the engine over absolutely nothing happens. Don't think it's the battery, because the problem is very on/off. The next couple of times I tried to turn the engine over it started right away, and then the problem returned. Anyone got an idea what it might be? Is it just a bad connection, or do I need a new starter?

ex 89 1.7 QV
now 85 1.5 QV with 1.7 engine.
BILL
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you hear the pump work and the clock (over your head)becomes less bright its not a starter problem.I have the same problem for the last 2 months and i think its the key switch .Inside the key switch is (i think Question,at least it is in jap cars ) a round box with cooper contacts and they use to wear off with time,so it does not give power to the starter.I dont know how much it costs but is very embarasing Embarassed and rare Very Happy for an ALFA not to start right a way.
micap
Alfasud

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, electrical problems. That's what i thought. Always a problem with those old Alfas.

ex 89 1.7 QV
Patrick
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 9:38 am    Post subject: Starter Problems Reply with quote

Hi!

Had the same problem on my 33. It sounds like the contact plate within the starter key assembly. Check this by short circuiting the starter motor
with a screwdriver (insulated!) between the solenoid and the motor contacts the next time is doesnt start.

Generally a new contact plate shouln't be very expensive, but the problem is that it is very hard to change. The starter key assembly is held in the steering column housing by a "shear-off"-bolt (security reasons), so that the bolt has to be removed by a hammer and a chisel.

I circumvented this problem by installing a starter button that enganges the starter motor after starting the ignition with the key. Very nice in case you stall the engine: you can restart the engine very quickly...

Good Luck!

Patrick
micap
Alfasud

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that answer Patrick. Luckily the problem hasn't occured since i wrote the first message, so haven't had the chance to try that screwdriver trick
That starter button you're talking about sounds really interesting. Can you tell me a bit more detailed what you did? Would really like to have something similar on my car, at least just for the show off.

ex 89 1.7 QV
bron
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yes, sounds familiar! I had this problem for about a year... a mate thought it was the starter so they changed it over for a new one from a sprint, but that didn't fix it. We then took it to the auto-electrician who said that it was the battery which had dropped a cell. A new battery in, and the problem went away for about 6 but returned, (along with dimmer lights and general signs that the battery was getting low) We took it back and they wired more power to the starter. I'm still not convinced that this was the problem, and not that the battery was getting drained somehow - but I haven't had any problems with it in about 3 months.

I also heard about the key thing, the RACT guys mentioned it... but the auto-elec guys said that that wasn't it.

It's such a bugger of a problem - having lived with it for so long I am verrrry good at roll-starting, in fact I can do it in reverse, around the clothesline in the backyard.

Good luck!
Patrick
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 2:36 pm    Post subject: starter button Reply with quote

Hi!

Yeah same with me: I also thought that the starter motor itself was the cause...so off I went and bought a new one for a lot of money...but that didn't solve the problem of course... Sad

Anyway the starter button topic: It is actually quite easy: You install a wire going from the positive battery pole to the actuating contact on the starter motor solenoid (thats where normally the wire from the starter key is connected) and put a switch or button in between. The more cumbersome part is finding a way for that wire, as you want to have the switch somewhere within the car and not in the engine bay Wink

If I remember correctly there is an orifice somewhere behind or next to the battery you can use to bring the wire to the inside (other cables are going through there as well). Then its basically your choice where to put the button. I put it below the steering console (in the plastic cover around the console), so that it is not actually visible. This means I had to bring the wire from the right side to the left side of the car (left side steering here) behind the center console where all the wires for the radio etc. are also located. Of course you can also put it on the center console if you wish. Anyway be sure to use a button(switch) that can take a quite high capacity (probably not the right word...) I used a 20 A(mpere) one.

I'm not an expert on electrics so don't rely too much on my judgement here. For me it worked fine in the last two years, but probably someone else can shed more light on the capacity topic.

Another thing to consider is that you shouldn't be able to push the button by accident while the engine is running, as this will engage the starter motor wheel and it will come into contact with the rotating flywheel. This will cause both an ugly noise and considerable damage to the starter motor...so be careful...

Another tip: You will still have to turn the key to the starting position everytime you start the car, although it will not engage the starter anymore. The reason: Otherwise the warning lights for the generator/ Oil pressure etc. will not turn off after a few seconds as they usually do...again I don't know why but maybe someone else does.

Good luck!

Regards

Patrick
BILL
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI,
if my starting problem gets worst i will put an external button too.
What i noticed is it more possible to happen on a very hot day like in the summer than in the winter.Anyway i will put a button like FIAT COUPE had or FOCUS RS or HONDA S2000 have, or a illumineted one(this means one with a light inside, sorry for my English Embarassed ).
Rob

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you go to the extent of putting in a starter switch, you might as well put in a relay at the same time, mounted as close to the starter motor solenoid as possible.
That will give you the certainty of full voltage to the solenoid.

Cheers,

Rob
Scott Sander
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI,

Have a look at the relay mod I have on my web site. It may or may not help, but it is not very expensive to do and has helped others in the past.

It solved my starter motor problem.
John Hansen
Alfasud

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 1:16 pm    Post subject: Starter Problem Reply with quote

Hi,
Had a problem where the engine cranked over but wouldn't start. Cause of problem was a connector under dash (LHS on RHD car) from ignition which had come loose. This allowed starter to crank engine, but no spark to fire up.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
John H

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys
The starter solenoid is a relay! The switching current for the solenoid is not that high. Be sure to fuse any wiring that is direct from the battery.
Regards Eddie
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: