Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

thermostat
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigAl
P4

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my machined two part thermostat back and fitted it on Tuesday. Had to use a sud 30mm longer pipe, as the 33 one is too short.

I got a BGA CT5496 thermostat, as recommended by alfa for a sud or early 33.

Pics of original top

Car gets to temp in 9 mins, inc 2 mins at idle.
I can see the temp drop at just over 80c to just under 80c.. ok normal up to this point. Before the temp used to then stay at just under 80c.
Now the temp sits just over 80c and fluctuates up to just under 90c, it never did this before.

The fan comes on at just under 90c when idling.

This is the first time I have had the 2 part thermostat, can anyone else with one, i.e you sud guys, advise please.
I'm thinking the stat isn't opening enough and the cooling is coming from the fan switching on whilst driving, surely not desired.

Thanks Alan
Click the link below to see what I'm doing to raise money for cancer research
http://myprojects.cancerresearchuk.org/fundraising-pages/mrt-mohican
BigAl
P4

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to try a thermostat from a s4 spider. There is no upward exit angle so it clears the filters very nicely.
Temps are now what they were before so I'm happy.
doing it this way means the only machining needed is the relocation of the bolt holes in the 2 part base.

BigAl
P4

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Less than a year the thermostat is sticking open Evil or Very Mad gets up to temp ok then drops to 60c - 70c
Idle the fan comes on when the dash temp gauge says just over 80c (middle) and turns off just under 80c. on my ECU readout it is actually 90c 89c.
At least changing the thermostat is much easier with this setup. hoping to get just the thermostat rather than the whole housing.
Edward
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a couple of photos from my spares pile. As you can probably see, both of these need some work doing. The green one got damaged when the piston came through the block. If you look closely you can make out that it knocked the end of one of the pipe unions. On the other one, as it came off a race car - that same pipe union has been cut and welded close. The whole thing didn't run a thermostat at all - it was just a junction really for all the pipes that needed to work together.

One day I will find a bit of aluminium pipe the same diameter and thickness and get them both repaired with a bit of decent aluminium welding. Till then they can just sit in the spares box.
Oggie
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been looking at the thermostat currently fitted to my 33, its a Behr unit which should open at 86 degrees C but recently I have noticed the reservoir cap leaking and I'm currently suffering from high engine temps. According to my digital thermometer the block is reaching 102D'c, the fan kicks in as per usual at 95 Degrees C and will switch off as it should but block temp isn't coming down, I replaced the waterpump at the same time as the thermostat 2 years ago, I have found a small split in the hose leading in to the bottom of the thermostat housing and maybe thought it was drawing air into the system and not allowing enough hot water to sit at the bottom of the thermostat allowing it to open. I certainly don't think its a head gasket failure as no oil is in the coolant system and the coolant is clean with no clouding. Anyway new waterpump on order as the unit I put in 2 yrs ago has the hideous plastic impeller which are prone to failing so hopefully it should be fine by the weekend.
Oggie
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New pump and thermostat fitted, leak sorted and newer 16v header tank fitted and the issue has gone. The old tank cap not being able to cope with any water pressure and therefore was dumping the water out slowly. I have yet to try a sniff test to see if the is a head gasket failure but so far all is good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum