Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Barn find what to look for very low mileage

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcouchard

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:26 am    Post subject: Barn find what to look for very low mileage Reply with quote

Hi first time posting on here there is a 1992 1.7 4x4 33 for sale locally just 22k miles. What do I need to check, look for is this one of the galvnised ones? and what would be an appropriate price not been on road in years.
Thanks,
Matthew
lee16v
16 Valve

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that will be a galvanised shell but it won't be immune from the dreaded tin worm! Have a good look underneath at the jacking points, sills (if possible remove sill covers to see outer sill properly), boot area (behind carpet by inner wheel arch) and fuel cap area as the main points. The brakes will need overhauling as the calipers are likely to be seized and if drums on the rear the wheel cylinders are prone to seizing with inactivity. The engine would need to be turned over by hand and I wouldn't attempt to start it without checking the timing belts for condition (I'd recommend changing them first but turning the engine over would be ok if they look alright).
As for price, I can't really say without seeing it. What you're going to have to weigh up is the cost of what needs doing. Recommissioning a car can be expensive when you factor all the bits (and some are hard to come by now) belts, brakes, tyres, rubber components that have perished etc. But, with a bit of work you're going to have one of the lowest mileage 33s on the road and they are fetching half decent money now in good nick.

Good luck.
Oggie
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think any 33s were galvanised but I would check absolutely everywhere underneath the car for rot, do you know the reason it was taken off the road?.

I'd be inclined to see if the engine is seized checking oil and putting the car in 1st gear and try rocking it to see if the cams/big end turns.
If your any good with spanners then most parts are available 2nd hand.
RFlower
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My UK reg 1991 1.7 doesn't seem to have anything galvanised. Where does your information come from, Lee? Was it just on 4-x4's?

Mine has sat in the garage since 2008, when its windscreen cracked when washed while in the sun, and was replaced with the Imola, which was later written off in an unfortunate accident.

The fuel filler surround is completely rusted through, hidden under a fake "sporty" riveted surround when I bought the car, and the top inside flange of the RH front wing has a hole rotted through it near the scuttle, neatly covered with a soldered patch, but otherwise the body is still sound.

I found the seats very comfortable, and swapped the front ones into the Trofeo, replacing its original Alcantara seats , which I found pinched my cheeks painfully.

Still on UK plates, it's available to offers from anyone who wants to trailer it back there. It's not driveable, as the timing belts would probably snap if started, and it's on the 7Jx15 MiM wheels it had when I bought it. These have the wrong offset, making the steering bad, and the tyres are done for.
lee16v
16 Valve

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always understood that the series 3 was galvanised or at least part galvanised. Wiki states it as so but maybe someone can confirm it.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfa_Romeo_33
RFlower
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose it depends on what they mean by "frames" being galvanised.

There is a 1" patch of bare rusted metal near the handle on the rear RH door of the Trofeo, but no obvious signs of it elsewhere, although the car has been kept outside for the last 10 years. I treated it with Jenolite and primer, but didn't get round to painting it, as I have a spare door in the same colour anyway.

However, some paint along the gutter trim on the LHS has literally fallen off in large thick flakes on the LHS, exposing bright, but not shiny metal underneath.

I assumed the gutter trims were stainless steel, which would account for the poor paint adhesion, but they could be electroplated with zinc.
lee16v
16 Valve

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Galvanising is a preventative measure and is only as good as the material beneath. I'm guessing the Alfas of this period didn't have the best quality steel.
RFlower
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never used galvanising as a preventative Shocked

However, as a preventive measure it works fine on dustbins, which I don't think are made of superior steel to that used on Alfas Very Happy
lee16v
16 Valve

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I'm trying to convey is galvanised steel will still rust. The rate at which will depend on the base steel and quality of the galvanising.
I've got one of those bins too Richard. Rusty as an old nail!
john 33_16v
16 Valve

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Just dug out my series 3 brochure. There is an exploded diagram that shows the following:

"Electrogalvanized steel plate"- roof, bonnet skin, doors, wings, hatch, outer sills, outer faces of a,b and c posts.

"Electrogalvanized high tensile steel"- inner sills and raised floor under rear seat

"Electrogalvanized steeplate on both surfaces"- rad surround panel, bonnet frame and two bits of scuttle.

Oggie, did you get my DM the othermonth about the cat/exhaust?

Cheers,

John
08 Fiat Grande Punto Exotica Red
90 Yamaha FZR600 Genesis- Silky white/red/blue
08 GT 2.0JTS Black (Mrs's)
lee16v
16 Valve

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for confirming John.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum