Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Use 8v fuel tank configuration for 16v

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Martini SE

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 2:39 pm    Post subject: Use 8v fuel tank configuration for 16v Reply with quote

Hi everyone!
I have a problem with the fuel return on my 16v fuel tank. I suspect my tank is a modified 8v tank with an added fuel return pipe to fit the 16v fuel circuit. The added pipe is welded very close to the tank and when i bent it upwards to get more room to fit a new hose and clip it must have cracked. Now all return fuel is evidently not getting back in the tank. I've tried twice to cover it with some leak-fix but the smell unveil it did not work for long.

I then came up with the idea to switch the connections between the ventilation and the fuel return. A meter of hose is cheepier than a new tank. Razz From the workshop manual what is the ventilation pipe on the 16v seems to be the fuel return on the 8v. Is that correct or will there be problems if i switch them? Confused

Until i fix this I drive with constant full throttle to limit the amount of fuel in the return circuit Twisted Evil Morning traffic is a nightmare Shocked

Only Kidding, but help is appreciated!

Best Regards,
Martin
Alfa 33 16V QV -91 (Martini Bianco)
johnboy
16 Valve

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Use 8v fuel tank configuration for 16v Reply with quote

I then came up with the idea to switch the connections between the ventilation and the fuel return. A meter of hose is cheepier than a new tank. Razz From the workshop manual what is the ventilation pipe on the 16v seems to be the fuel return on the 8v. Is that correct or will there be problems if i switch them? Confused

HI there,

when i did my 16v conversion,i kept the 8v tank and i have had no problem's what so ever driving fast or slow. the return on the 8v goes into the filler pipe not the ventilation pipe i'm sure.

hope this help's let me know how you get on Wink

all the best

john

Alfa gt jtdm blackline
1990 S2 16v veloce sleeping!
2002 ts gtv the wifes now
1997 seadoo gsx 800
1999 freestyle superjet
Mixsynth
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suspect that with a leaky tank you aren't safe just not using the connector you cracked. When you fill it up all the way it will be spilling out whenever you throw it round a corner. It's best just to get a replacement.

I have a spare 8V/16V tank I want to shift... mint condition... Smile
16V conversion pics/videos - now updated with extra pictures and explanations
Martini
Alfasud

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:58 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

I'll see what I'll do, I'm not sure. A hose reconfiguration wouldn't be solid safe I know but the crack is so small i guess some pressure is needed for leakage. I'll probably end up buying a used tank from someone closer but anyway, thanks for the offer Smile

However, I was about to change plugs and oil and noticed I have a mayonaisse-in-the-oil-fill-pipe problem to solve before I change the tank. Hopefully that is just because it has been rainy and I've driven very short trips this week. -Fingers crossed-

Regards
Martin, Sweden
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: