Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Strut pan bearings

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobbber (not logged in)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 10:06 am    Post subject: Strut pan bearings Reply with quote

Hi guys...

I'm well on the way through my Alfa 33IE restoration now....

But I'd like to know if anyone has detailed details (!) on how to replace the strut pan bearings?

On my 33, it 'honks' at the extreme lock on both sides... is it a UK MOT failure???

Thanks!
gritsop
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

It is rather easy to replace them provided that you have a spring compressor on order to tighten the spring and a ball joint puller to take the ball joint off the strut lever.
Then it is easy to remove the strut from the hub by unlocking the four screws. I would suggest to have the special tool during assembly in order to tighten the screws at the specified torque (39-48 Nm) but if you dont have it then it doesnot matter that much.
I replaced mine 10 days ago and it was a 2 hour job more or less working at my time.
Now a question how much do you bought them ? - In my country it costs 20€ per item

Regards

http://www.alfa-restoration.co.uk
Parts Shop: www.alfa-restoration.co.uk/shop
GaryUK

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't really need a ball joint splitter as the struts don't need to be seperated from the track-rod
bobbber (not logged in)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 2:06 pm    Post subject: Strut pan bearings Reply with quote

I just bought some new bearings - they cost £12 (about 20€) from my main Alfa Roeo dealer....

Now - I was once told that changing them resulted in up to 30 minutes use before they break again???? Has anyone worked out how to make them last a little longer???? Question

Thanks!

Rob
gritsop
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

What do you mean lasting 30 minutes use ????!!!!! Is your car a S3 model? When was it produced? The bearings are yellow, arent they?
Mine actually are the first pair that was replaced.

The first time was I think at 2000 (where the mechanic was a jerk and what he did was to apply a thick layer of grease which revitalised them for a couple of years) and then a month ago when I replaced them both by myself
The funny part of the story is that the left one completely went away and i was gathering the small balls here and there. The other one was stuck and the strut could move because of the heavy grease layer ...
Anyway, if you feel stuck let us know.

Regards

http://www.alfa-restoration.co.uk
Parts Shop: www.alfa-restoration.co.uk/shop
alfa-alex

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

while your at it change the rubber boots that protect the bearings from the elements...even if they are in the good condition its worth the £8 because the old ones can split fairly quickly
bobbber
P4

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've changed the boots already! Seemed like a good idea as you could see the shiny metal struts underneath through the ones I had! LOL!

I also have some like 'rubber bands' which go below the yellow bearings... I have stretched these up inside the bottom of the bearings along the bearing 'seam'. I assume this is to keep the dirt out - if not, I can't imagine where else they go!!! Is that correct?!

Thanks chaps!

Rob
graeme
Alfasud

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 12:36 am    Post subject: Strut pan bearings Reply with quote

Demon Tweaks do an uprated bearing. Let me know if you wont more info.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: