Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

I need a proffesional opinion

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pimp_Dudu
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 7:40 pm    Post subject: I need a proffesional opinion Reply with quote

Hello people....i have come to that point in my life where i must decide the most horrible thing for one man.....sell the 33 or not....now the thing is if i sell the 33 i will buy an alfa 146 ti....now here's the question...what do you guys think about it???? I want all opinions...i want to know things sucha s is the 33 faster then the 146...is thw 146 more reliable and stuff like that...for now im only basing my choice on the fact that the 146 is newer and looks stylish...plus it has consderably more hp's under the hood....so any suggestions would b great....should i spend my money on a 146 or then jsut spend it on restoring the 33???
Eddie W
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know much about the 146(I like the styling) but my understanding is that it needs the extra hp to match the performance of the 33 because of the extra weight.
Regards Eddie
Matt Stolton
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 10:00 pm    Post subject: Don't do it... Reply with quote

Eddie is right, the extra HP (and more torque) are mostly to overcome the weight.

Most modern cars downfall is weight, too much and you don't just accelerate more slowly, you also slow down more slowly, and cornering becomes more of a hassle, what with the extra momentum.

I agree the more modern cars, not just alfas, have come on leaps and bounds with gadgets, luxury trim etc, but most have also become very heavy.

If you can afford it, keep the 33 as a play thing, and the 145/6 as the day to day. The comfort of the 145/6 helps get through the grind, but you will miss the 33's handling at the weekends.

Alternatively, yopu can do what Garinda did to his 145, and slap a 3.0 V6 in it, coil overs, brembo 4 pots etc. That does seem to overcomethe weight penalty, although he is now trying to loose as much weight as possible.

Matt

Ex Alfa 33 'GTA' (P4 with Knobs On)
Now cruising in a 166 3.2 Ti!!
johnboy
16 Valve

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: I need a proffesional opinion Reply with quote

Hi there,

if you sell her you will regret it. 33's are where it´s at!!
ive spent abit of dosh on my 33 series 2 and love it more now it has a 16v and a doggy chip in it,i love it.this is how sad i´m,i´m in grand canaria now sitting here in the hotel e-mailing you guy´s.now what does that tell you about the 33? just spend the money on it.you know it makes sence.MORE POWER!

rite back to the beer now ive had my fix

good luck john

Alfa gt jtdm blackline
1990 S2 16v veloce sleeping!
2002 ts gtv the wifes now
1997 seadoo gsx 800
1999 freestyle superjet
ak8635
Alfasud

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from my perspective it is not only the car as a weight that matters..

i am passing by from alot of new alfa romeo's all the time, and i cant understand why but most of them are very very slow..

I have only seen a guy who was really giving his 156 2.5V6 his money's worth..
All the others were just cruisers.

There are not gonna be alot of 33s left, but for each one left people will be watching it speeding by and they will say "old fast alfa romeo"..

dont go for the 146 , unless you like cruising..
Go for 155, or 75.
33,75 and 155 these are the beasts..

Yesterday i was following a bentley (overtaking bloody bmw's who were parading on the right lane) and when we reached the red traffic lights (ahead of the bmw's Twisted Evil ), we were laughing.
bw
Alfasud

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In all honesty I think the 146 is a bit soul-less and oddly styled, but each to their own. If I wanted a hatchback I'd go for a 145, but otherwise go for a 155. I'm biased of course because I have a 2.0 16v widebody 155. So here's my two pence worth:

With the twinspark engine bear following points in mind...

8v engines are pretty robust by all accounts and torquey at lower revs
16v are more 'fragile' and you need to rev them to get the extra performance, but it's worth it. Watch the timing belts on 16v. On 2.0 litre engine there are two belts - one for the balancer shafts. Service intervals are officially about 60,000 miles, but you should halve that and get them changed as soon as you buy it too if they haven't been done recently. Also there is a problem with the variable valve timing phase transformer (variator) which wear out and make the car sound like a diesel when cold. Not a disastrous failure but they should be changed when the belts are done. Total cost can be close to £500 for this job, and make sure all pulleys/tensioners are replaced as these are the main culprits for belt failure.

155-wise, V6 obviously gives more power and noise, but unbalances the car making it front heavy and less nimble than the twinspark. On balance, 2.0 16v is the best performer in terms of power and handling. On 155's watch for worn out wishbone bushes - the car will wander under braking and probably clunk over rough surfaces.

155's also have an appetite for lambda sensors apparently, although mine has never given any problems in last 20,000 miles (since I bought it) and is now on 70,000.

155's may not be very good in snowy/icy conditions by the way.

I too would want to keep the 33 as a 2nd car though if I had the space, but the 155 is more comfortable and less wearing to drive than the 33 on long journeys.

hope this helps!
Ian M
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 164 is a good buy at the moment...my brother in law just picked up a v6 model for around £300.
Paintwork is a bit shabby and interior a bit worn but theres no rust and it mechanically sound.
Thats pretty cheap for a 130mph plus car Im thinking.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: I need a proffesional opinion Reply with quote

Pimp_Dudu wrote:
is thw 146 more reliable and stuff like that...?

Where are you going to find a 147 in Finland since it was never imported here or are you planning on looking for one in Sweden or Germany?? It would be pretty unique over here though Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: I need a proffesional opinion Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Pimp_Dudu wrote:
is thw 146 more reliable and stuff like that...?

Where are you going to find a 147 in Finland since it was never imported here or are you planning on looking for one in Sweden or Germany?? It would be pretty unique over here though Very Happy

Sorry I meant 146 of course
Pimp_Dudu
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can get some real sweet 146's from bulgaria....and the tax will be cheaper..plus i can even make some fake documents in bulgaria that i've been driving the car already for over a year then the tax wil lb much much cheaoer....i was checking out ads..and i saw a beautiful black 146 ti with 160hp's 2 subwoofers, all the xtras such as darkened windows, abs, plus a ps2 and a monitor...and all of that for 9000eur....which basically isn't anything...but in bulgaria for that money u can get almost a brand new car...like the new mazda 6 or toyota corolla....also the bmw 3rd series cars from 98-02 are around 8-12000 eur eight now....almost cheaper then germany...if not cheaper
Pimp_Dudu
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and to Ian...there's soemthing bout the 164 that i don't like...i don't know what it is....but there's something bout it....frankly i think it's one of the worst or if not the worse alfa's ever made....i only like it cuz Copolla always used the 164 in his mafia movies.....all the wize guy's rides were always black 164's...but other then that i jsut dont like it..
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum