Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

life of 16v engine

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bicola
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 7:00 pm    Post subject: life of 16v engine Reply with quote

I am looking at a p4 at the moment with 105000 miles on the clock. Its got a full service history and seems to be okay. What can I expect (to go wrong) from the engine at this high mileage? Or is this not particularly high for a 16 p4?

thanks for any advice - might be full time on here soon! Smile
graeme
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 1:43 am    Post subject: P4 Reply with quote

Don't worry too much about the mechanics. That's easily fixed.

Checkout the floor pan. That little blister of rust behind the underseal will probabley turn into a major rot area!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks graeme!

There is a small bit of rust under the carpet in the boot but thats about it. Can you tell me of other areas in particular prone to rust? The sills are fine as is the area around fuel cap, wheel arches okay.
graeme
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 2:27 pm    Post subject: P4 Reply with quote

When I bought mine as a none runner it appeared to have a hole in the rear sill, and one where the floor pan meats the inner sill. On further investigation, after poking at the underseal, pretty much the whole floor pan/inner cill joint was rotten. There are four round plugs, one in each footwell. Check round those too. Check the floor where the rear bumper mounts bolt on. Also the rear end plate of the inner and outer sill.

I have also found that any sound looking seam in the floorpan can be prised open to reveal rust.

Mine might be particularly bad as I know from documentation it had leaking door seals, and the felt under the carpet was wet and rotten.

The most important thing is not to under estimate a rust patch/hole. Poke it hard with a large screwdriver and it will reveal an area about ten times bigger!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

graeme, invaluable advice, thanks! Anything else I should be wary of? Basically I am better off walking away or buying it if it seems okay? im prepared to put money into this car.
I know there is a problem with 2nd gear on the 33. Is this something that can be resolved or do I have to live with it? Confused
graeme
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 11:01 am    Post subject: P4 Reply with quote

Difficult to know whether to walk away without investigating the things I've outlined, which would be difficult without really attacking the floorpan.

Forgot to ask where in the world you are. I you haven't got a UK type climate, rot may not be such a problem.

Regarding 2nd gear syncro, fitting new syncro rings should fix it. Cost of parts is not high, but I guess if you get it done professionally the cost would be £150-£200.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: