Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Finally got myself a 33!

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ben_nz
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 9:13 am    Post subject: Finally got myself a 33! Reply with quote

After a month or two of looking and test-driving, I finally stopped trying to find the perfect 33 and settled for one that was OK and pretty cheap. Here it is, after a wash and wax:
http://www.axys.co.nz/ben/alfa33/LEFTSIDE.JPG
It's an '88 series 2 1.7QV, although the cloverleaf is more like faded blue now. I've got the sunroof but I'm missing the Alfa Control and the front foglights.
Going from a smooth, well-built Japanese automatic with power steering to a growling little beastie fitting the 'temperamental Italian sportscar' stereotype I'm starting to doubt my own sanity. I can hardly even drive the thing yet. Confused
I rev it real high when taking off at the lights because the accelerator's so sensitive and I don't wanna stall, then I go for second and get fourth and probably stall anyway. Laughing

At least I've got past accelerating with the firewall, braking with the accelerator and indicating with the windscreen wipers. Very Happy

The car has some problems (of course).
It doesn't start very well (starter turns engine over for quite a while before the motor fires.. I've tried pumping the accelerator like the manual says)
It doesn't idle very well (idles low especially when on a slope) resulting in it stalling when not warmed up
The drivers side mirror adjuster is broken so the mirror ends up pointing down toward the road
There's some rust, peeling paint, cracks started in the body in the usual spot etc etc.
I plan to give it a full service, inject some cash and some time and see how much fun I can have before the car's own dodgy quality spells its doom. Cool
Carl
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrantulations,

Very nice looking, did the PO say what caused the paint to peel on the bonnet like that? Looks very odd.

Alfa controls are apparently more trouble than they're worth to hear some people with it speak, mine doesn't have it so I wouldn't know.

I love my beast, and it's the 2nd heaviest 33 ever made (33 turbo diesel estate takes that crown). Took me a while to get used to it, now I don't want to drive anything else.

Have fun,
-Carl
Ben_nz
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's weird how the paint did that. It's also peeling in a couple of places on the front bumper. It can't have been a fire under the bonnet, cos all that's under that part is the ventilation fan and the battery and there's no signs of anything like that. Previous owner reckons he peeled the paint back a bit until it was stable then sprayed it with black spraypaint to stop it rusting further.

I'm getting more used to the car now, I didn't stall all day! Rolling Eyes
I sprayed some carb cleaner in it tonight and took it out for a blat - I don't doubt my sanity any more. Very Happy
Even engine braking with the windows down is cool, just listening to the backfire. Twisted Evil
Eddie W
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok ben
It looks good ! I'd like to see it some time so give me a ring on 2798748 when you've got a chance. Had to go up to Mangawai today and took daughters car with the new 15" wheels and 195/50 tyres .Radical grip on the road to the heads. Loved every minute and can't wait to get the same setup on mine. Incidentally,daughter had her heart set on a black one but there were none available at the time and we wound up with white instead. Very happy with it but black really suits the 33. Also just picked up a set of Koni reds for the rear on TradeMe at a very reasonable price.
Regards Eddie
James Granger
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eddie W wrote:
Ok ben
It looks good ! I'd like to see it some time so give me a ring on 2798748 when you've got a chance. Had to go up to Mangawai today and took daughters car with the new 15" wheels and 195/50 tyres .Radical grip on the road to the heads. Loved every minute and can't wait to get the same setup on mine. Incidentally,daughter had her heart set on a black one but there were none available at the time and we wound up with white instead. Very happy with it but black really suits the 33. Also just picked up a set of Koni reds for the rear on TradeMe at a very reasonable price.
Regards Eddie

195/50 is the best setup! I've not encounted any understeer - no matter how hard I've tried! Twisted Evil

This obviously excludes torque steer when accelerating hard out of roundabouts or tight corners - the other week I saw off a 147 1.6!

Last edited by James Granger on Fri Nov 28, 2003 11:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eddie W
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi James
Yes slight torque steer on daughters car in straight linebut I suspect bushes to be the culprit. Hopefully urethane will cure.
Hi Ben
Idle affected on slopes is float levels . On the Dellortos the plastic floats get heavier over time and consequently the float level creeps up and starts to dribble from the mains at the idle . The floats should weigh 10 gms. If you live anywhere near Henderson I can put you on to someone who can help you with your car as he has helped me with all mine. (he rebuilt the gearbox on daughters car for me)
Regards Eddie
Ben_nz
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in Epsom.. probably slightly closer to Otahuhu where Italian Auto Center are. A lot of 33 owners I've spoken to have recommended them. They do a reconditioned gearbox for $1200 or so. I took an Alfa 75 to them to get checked out before I bought my 33 - they must have spent not far off an hour of their time going over the car with me and didn't charge me a thing. Very Happy
So I probably owe it to them to give them first crack at the list of niggles and problems I'm building up.

I spent up large at the opening of SuperCheap Auto on Saturday morning and I've also bought myself an electronic rust protection gizmo to install (I love gizmos!), so I'll be spending most of my spare time mucking around with the car. =)

A few 'is this normal?' questions:
Do 33 brakes normally want to latch like limpets and lock the wheels up if you press them a bit harder than usual?
Do you normally have to use the accelerator to keep the engine running when it just comes off the choke in the mornings?
Was the rev counter made from the factory to read 500rpm when the car's stopped? Even the owners manual suggests that's the case. Can the rev counter's reading be relied upon in general?
Eddie W
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ben
Fair enough. Loyalty is to be admired. I too have spent much time and dollars at IAC, which is why I got the pricker a bit when Barry ( the owner) suggested that $500 was a reasonable price for a set of standard wheels that I needed to replace the ones on daughters car that were bent by thieves. They've got racks of them and you can't give them away. I eventually got some 15s with 195/50 directionals for less than that. However that aside they can be very good in some areas and they know the 33s backwards. Anywayto your queries.
Yes the Tachos all sit at 500 at rest and I believe they are quite accurate
No the brakes should not lock under normal to severe braking. Is it the front or rear that does it? The rears can lock under extreme braking or when the limiter valve is siezed.
Most of us don't bother with the choke except in extreme cold and they will usually idle on their own after a couple of minutes but not before. Check that your choke is returning at the carbs with the cable home as this could be part of your idle problem.
There are several people who privately wreck 33s in Auck. and it pays to shop around when looking for secondhand parts as there seems to be a wide variation in prices.
Any other queries post or ring.
Regards Eddie
Buck Bundy
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:25 am    Post subject: Backfire Reply with quote

Ben_NZ wrote

Quote:
Even engine braking with the windows down is cool, just listening to the backfire.

That's got to be the best bit hasn't it. Never was the same in the injected P4 though. Still, I might get my Sprint on the road soon, then I'll go and look for some tunnels!

Buck
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum