Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Removing pistions from brake caliper

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Patrick
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 7:29 pm    Post subject: Removing pistions from brake caliper Reply with quote

Hello everybody,

I'm trying to overhaul a pair of used brake calipers for my 33. This leads me to my question:
How can i remove the pistons from the caliper? Usually (if the calipers were still connected to the brake circuit) you would use the pedal pressure to push them out. In my case I have nothing to buid up pressure behind the piston. Are there any special tools, or is there some other trick?

Any help is appreciated!

Regards

Patrick
ZeNiTh-PbArM
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 8:30 pm    Post subject: re : caliper Reply with quote

hi

you could just push the piston out using compressed air. just be sure to put a piece of wood in the clamp of the caliper to prevent the piston from flying across the room and perhaps causing injuries (they fly like a bullet, really) and damage.

otherwise i already did it with the water pressure at the kitchen tap, it is sufficient to chase the piston out. You just need to build a proper adapter.

regards,
zp
Patrick
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

I'll try the trick with the compressed air. Did you build a special adapter here as well, or did you just aim the compressor "pistol" at the thread for the brake hose?

Regards

Patrick
Rob (Perth)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compressed air is the correct method.

I have a small electric compressor (for spray painting) with different nozzles for attaching to the hose. One is a tapered plastic nozzle (for inflating balls I think) - I pushed a short length of rubber fule line over the taper to increase its size, and then pushed the rubber taper hard into the brake line thread without worry of damaging it. Worked well, but only JUST enough pressure.

Make sure to have the piece of timber or a big rag stuffed outside the piston to prevent damage/injury when it decides to come free!

Cheers,

Rob
graeme
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 5:31 pm    Post subject: Brakes Reply with quote

Front or rear? The rears screw out.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: