Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

33 Chassis Crack - What to do?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peter Gargano
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 11:28 pm    Post subject: 33 Chassis Crack - What to do? Reply with quote

Does anyone have link(s) to information on how to successfully repair 33 chassis cracking around the front suspension (I'm not interested in the legal aspects)
I have a 33 that someone has very poorly attempted to repair with an electric welder and too small and too thick mild steel plates.
Subsequently, cracking has extended to the area behind the headlights on one side, and to the front cross-member on the other, but, as bad as it sounds, I think it can be quite successfully repaired with a MIG, and then reinforced so it's better than the original.
What I really want to see are some images or a writeup of the steps involved, and the potential problems.
If I can get enough info to be confident to start, my intention is to write it up, with images, and make it available from either my own web site, or a more appropriate site.
If this has already been done then all the better.
I'm located in Canberra (AU).
I have a MIG, Oxy, (and a pop riveter)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More info and images :

http://techedge.com.au/vehicle/alfa/crack.htm

Peter
Harri
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this something which is inevitable after high mileage or only in older series 1 and 2 models? My 16V has 210k kms on the clock and I wonder what the chances are that there are cracks.

thanks
Harri
1989 164 3.0 V6
1990 33 16V
2003 156 JTS Selespeed SW
Peter D
Alfasud

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 8:24 am    Post subject: Chassis crack Reply with quote

I have had a Service Bulletin from Alfa Romeo, where they tell about how the longitudinal chassis rails should be repaired.

Unfortunately I can not find it anymore, and I have asked the importer in my country, but they also can not find it (the importer now is Fiat, and they started to import Alfa's in 1993, after the Service Bulletin was issued).

But Alfa garages, which has been in the business since the eighties and keep order in their material should be able to find the Service Bulletin.

Peter (DK)
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum