Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Bulletproof boxer

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matthew Kirkcaldie
Alfasud

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 12:49 am    Post subject: Bulletproof boxer Reply with quote

Oh dear, I made the stupidest of tyro mistakes when checking my coolant level over the last few months - I could see a line on the side of the reservoir and thought "yes, that's full." Yesterday I realised the mark wasn't related to the coolant level at all (must have been something dried on the inside of the reservoir) and I had been letting the engine get drier and drier. It took FIVE LITRES of coolant in one hit to fill it up. And yet the car has been running like this for months I assume. Unbreakable boxer!

However, having finished a 400km round trip yesterday I could hear an ominous rattle which is what made me take a look around the engine. It's not audible at idle, but picks up when I hit 2000 rpm or so - sounds like a bolt rattling in a tin can, like a cover was loose or something. The oil and water are filled up but it persists - wonder what it could be.

Anyway, I'm glad a 20 year old car was so forgiving, I'll bet a modern multivalve would have blown itself up.
micap
Alfasud

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sound you hear might very well be the waterpump. I changed it on my old 33, and the sound it made was pretty much as you have descriped. Try and locate the sound. If you get down on you knees in front of the car you should be able to hear the sound very well, if it's the waterpump.

ex 89 1.7 QV
now 85 1.5 QV with 1.7 engine.
Matthew Kirkcaldie
Alfasud

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 11:26 pm    Post subject: Waterpump? I think you're right Reply with quote

I had a look at the engine while it ran this morning, and I came to the conclusion it was something driven by the fan belt, and the water-pump is the obvious conclusion! Thanks for the second opinion. I wonder how hard it's going to be to change it.
micap
Alfasud

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not very difficult, but it takes some time. You have to remove radiator and cambelts in order to access the pump properly. The most difficult part is to remove the pump, as it is usually pretty seized. The way I removed mine was to tap between the engine and pump with a chisel. In my case I broke small pieces off the pump, and was then finally able to remove the pump twisting it with a big pipe wrench. Check out this link, could be pretty useful.
http://www.alfaclub.org.au/philstorr/alfatech/sud/sudcool.htm

ex 89 1.7 QV
now 85 1.5 QV with 1.7 engine.
Harri
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Bulletproof boxer Reply with quote

Matthew Kirkcaldie wrote:
- sounds like a bolt rattling in a tin can, like a cover was loose or something. .

Also check the heat shields around the exhaust manifold from underneath the car. They were loose on mine and with higher revs the engine vibrations made them rattle like hell, just like a bolt rattling in a tin can. You can fix them with big enough hose clamps. It could well be something as simple as that.

rgds
Harri
Matthew Kirkcaldie
Alfasud

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 11:21 pm    Post subject: Good suggestion Reply with quote

Nice idea - but it did turn out to be the water pump after all, the shaft is loose. I'll get it fixed when the new part arrives on Monday.

Also noticed a massive toe-out on the front wheels, no idea what's caused it, but I'll get that looked at as well. Might make the car a touch more driveable!

Thanks for the replies.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: