Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Wanted: upper steering column (for series I)

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> For Sale & Wanted
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matthew Kirkcaldie
Alfasud

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 3:05 am    Post subject: Wanted: upper steering column (for series I) Reply with quote

Hi guys,

In the quest for perfection I am now turning my attention to a loose steering wheel. I'm reliably informed that the problem is a damaged ball-race in the upper bit of the upper steering column, just inside the plastic cowl. My mechanic reckons the simplest solution would be to replace the complete upper steering column, from the wheel down to the spline that inserts into the upper universal joint.

So ... anyone in Australia have one? And how much do you want for it? I'll pay freight of course, by whatever means is convenient.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide. Comments on whether the Sud / Sprint equivalent, or the same part from a 33 series 2 or 3, would work are also very welcome!

Cheers, Matthew.

PS: If anyone is having inexplicable problems with suspension or setup, get a good wheel alignment if nothing else works. Our car had self-adjusted to about 5-10 degrees of toe-out and it handled APPALLINGLY, rocking when I accelerated, shuddering, etc. Now it's nearly perfect!
Graham
Alfasud

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a few of these available im not sure but i guess you could have it for $100 email me and ill see what i can arrange that price may be cheaper ill have to check with a few pals

Also own 2 Complete 16V Engines(Spare) And Have a Sud Rally Car in Production
bron
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we got the steering wheel off a sprint, cos our wheel was loose and the round metal plate thing that it was bolted on to started to crack and fall out. We got the parts off a sprint, but now the indicators don't turn themselves off.
Matthew Kirkcaldie
Alfasud

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 11:40 pm    Post subject: Not a worry Reply with quote

Hey Bron - ours don't anyway! So it sounds like it would be helpful, thank you.
Graham
Alfasud

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Alfa 33 Originally had self cancelling indicators that was controlled by a plastic plate bolted to the housing that holds the indicator/wiper stalks. The lugs than sat between a fork mechanism and over time they snapped off (sounds familiar with all alfa plastic). This plate can be modified to be back to its original glory quite easily without the inherent design flaw.

Also own 2 Complete 16V Engines(Spare) And Have a Sud Rally Car in Production
Matthew Kirkcaldie
Alfasud

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 12:31 am    Post subject: Ah yes Reply with quote

Indeed, I have seen the snapped lugs on my own steering column, but I have lacked the time, expertise and inclination to go after them!
bron
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Matthew, sorry i didn't mean i had one to sell... i was just offering advice on the parts interchangeability based on experience!

thanks Graham, I'll try looking to see what has happened to the lugs - at least that would be one alfa gadget that doesn't rely on electricity Smile
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> For Sale & Wanted All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: