Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Racing suspension

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Motorsport, Racing & Trackdays
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rallyboy77
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 6:51 am    Post subject: Racing suspension Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

What are you racing guys using up front? My rally car currently has re-valved koni sport shocks up front, but they dont seem to be doing the deed. I'm wondering if my spring rate is to low as well? Although I'm running Spax adjustables at the back and they work excellent (too bad Spax don
t list front shocks/struts for the 33)

jez
Eddie W
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy
Me again. In Auck we have a firm that fits Bilstein inserts into Alfa struts and rears. For rallying I don`t think there is anything to touch Bilsteins,they are incredible. (That should get the Koni boys posting furiously) Maybe someone in Aus can do the same for you. Keep in touch
Eddie
Matt Stolton
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 4:23 pm    Post subject: Koni boy coming at ya!!! Reply with quote

I love Koni Yellows, and Eibach springs on 33s. On Tarmac, circuit or good roads I believe they are King.

However, for rallying, even I couldn't recomend standard Yellow Koni as they would fail. You have to consider the extra work they do trying to damp the springs over the rough stuff. As you may know, when you compress a gas or liquid, heat is generated (just feel the compressor on your fridge or freezer). If your shock is doing more compressing than it is designed for (i.e. using a road shock for rally purpose) it will get too hot for its design and will fail.

Koni do do rally grade shocks, but at that level, I wouldn't know if they were the best for the purpose. Your best bet is to speak to other Rally Racers (who will probably be cagey telling a competitor there secrets) or even better, try a rally motorsport garage outfit. These people will be making cars for other people, and make money to fund there own racing through selling components to others!!

For ideas try AHM. They do the full on race Konis as well as Yellows, so may do rally valved ones as well. However, they are a Tarmac / circuit outfit, but they are very succesful.

You may have to completely revise the front suspension though to get anything to fit. Check with your regulations as to the limits of mods to suspension, as you don't want to spend money and get your self disqualified on your first outing!! Ultimately, it will all come down to money, but some classes do stop certain mods to keep the class affordable, and so that the richest guy doesn't win all the time.

Matt

Ex Alfa 33 'GTA' (P4 with Knobs On)
Now cruising in a 166 3.2 Ti!!
Eddie W
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been thinking about this a bit more. The Subaru LSD conversion could be very handy on the loose. So far it can only be done with the 8 bolt SUD crownwheel which you should have. Pete T did a detailed posting on the old forum about it. I always found that a lot of caster helped turn in on metal and the post `87 suspension could help this. Also quick steering is a big bonus rallying and the power steer modals may have a quicker ratio rack. perhaps someone could verify. You won`t need the P/S itself if you don`t want it. Keep on truckin.
Regards Eddie
Eddie W
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jez
Have just discovered that Imprezza springs will fit the front of the Alfa so anything to fit an STI should be an upgrade especially anything aftermarket.
Regards Eddie
Finnland
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Subaru LSD conversion, how is this done and on which cars can it be done? Does it work on seres 1 33??

//Henrik

oo-v-oo
Eddie W
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far it only works with an 8 bolt c/wheel. Not sure if the series 1 is 8 or 10. I did a post on it a while ago, I'll try and find it as it involves a fair bit of typing and I'm pretty slow.
Regards Eddie
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Motorsport, Racing & Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: