Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Keith, a question for you

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lee
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2003 6:30 pm    Post subject: Keith, a question for you Reply with quote

Hi, just been on your "ourworld/compusite" page through Aroc uk, and found the discussion link still goes to the old list. There`s still a few lost soles lurking there.

Wouldnt it be better to get sent here as new owners to the 33 might not find us here.

Lee Cool
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Errrmmm, ooops. Forgot about the old Cserve copy of the site. Havent updated that in years

Thanks for reminding me

All the best

Keith
Lee
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohhhh seeing your FZR there on the left Keith really makes me want another. I had a 600, but was still a superb ride.

Maybe next year. boo hoo Sad
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

It isnt an FZR, although the engine is. It is a Bimota YB10. When did you get rid of the FZR600?

All the best

Keith
Lee
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah silly me, yeah the bimotas used engines from fzr 600s, 750s etc. Is yours the genesis 1000 engined then.?

I suppose from the small pic it looked a little fzr if you sqiunt, but thats being rude Embarassed

My bike was getting a little rough round the edges so I sold it last summer. BUT I really regret it, because for such a cheap hack it handled well, especially on the twisties, and wasted really expensive cars.

It was a `90 genesis, although I quite fancy a later foxeye fzr, but money no problem a new Benelli with the twin rear fans or a duke 999 would do. LOL.

Lee
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

The YB10 uses a FZR1000 Exup engine, plus the headlights are from the older FZR1000 Genesis. Had it for 2 years, but currently trying to get money out of a farmers insurance company after I dropped it on mud left on the road:-

http://www.alfa-pages.co.uk/bentbim.htm

I do like the new Benelli, but then there are loads of bikes I fancy.

All the best

Keith
Matt Stolton
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 10:55 am    Post subject: I've just looked at the pics Reply with quote

I didn't know you were into moto cross.

Simply, that isn't a road, it is a dirt track....

That will teach you to use 1WD rather than P4 Twisted Evil

I trust you were OK, and will be back to Italian motoring soon.

Matt

Ex Alfa 33 'GTA' (P4 with Knobs On)
Now cruising in a 166 3.2 Ti!!
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Mmm, motocross would be easier. There is a roughly 5m skid mark from the front wheel of the bike, and that was without touching the brakes. The front wheel just locked up from turning the handlebars slightly as the mud was so slippery. I was only going at a walking pace.

Once I came off I found out that the mud was so slippery it was difficult to walk on it

Got a few other Italian bikes as well, but the Bimota is the only large engined one (the rest are 2 stroke 125s)

1wd may make it harder to get the power down than 4wd, but then it manages it with about 145hp (claimed) and a weight of about 185kg. Makes it a tad quicker than the P4

All the best

Keith
Lee
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You get my sympathy keith, these farmers are just far too careless. Many times I had those sketchy moments on country roads, but poxy little "mud on road" signs simply are`nt good enough.

I really rate the Yam engines, they`re real screamers upto the 11k or so redline. Laughing

good luck with your fight for payment

Lee
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

The YB10 red line is at 11500rpm, and it takes off properly from 7000rpm.

This farmer hadnt even bothered to put out a mud on road sign

All the best

Keith
Gary UK
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This intrigues me, is the farmer legally negligent and therfore liable for leaving the road in that state??

Two stoke, you remind me of my brief foray into two wheeled transport FSIE-RD350LC, too much fun and too fast for me, I can't open a throttle half way you know.
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Currently trying to claim off his insurance. He finally coffed up his insurance details in mid February, and now we have contacted them, but they havent done anything yet. I fell off the bike 6 months ago.

The problem is that the road was left in that state after cattle walked on it, not from farm machinery. However he should be responsible for leaving it in a safe condition, and he had shown no signs of cleaning it up 24 hours later (I reported him to the police and highway authority that day, and again the next day). Hopefully we will get somewhere. Respraying the bodywork is likely to be about £750+vat, plus £50 for a handlebar, £50 for a footrest hanger, £50 for a gearchange lever, £100~£200 to get the swinging arm cleaned up and reanodised, £3 for a clutch lever (Yamaha part), etc

Pretty much the only way I could have avoided it was to ride down the wrong side of the road on a slight right hand bend (and the idea of a head on crash didnt appeal) or turn round and go back the other way.

2 cars lost it on the mud while I took the photographs. Neither going that quickly. They came round the corner, onto the mud then understeered into the verge and bounced off before continuing again.

All the best

Keith
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, as to 2 strokes, I fancy a Bimota V-Due. They are now back on sale, but the price is about Euro13000, and that is without a warrenty, etc.

All the best

Keith
Lee
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith, your brave wanting another italian bike Wink , I had an RGV 250 a while ago. Great little bike , but the spectre of an engine rebuild every month lost its appeal. Smile ,

Im almost sure its the Farmers responsibility to clean up muddy roads, if the leave it everywhere, but the bike mags are full of stories where many bikers end up dropping their bikes.

At least as far as bike bits prices go I found Yamaha to be not too expensive, but compared to cars bikers get ripped off.

Lee
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Got too many Italian bikes to worry about it. Have an Aprilia RS125 on the road for occasional fun

Hopefully I will get somewhere with the farmer. At least it seems to have worked partially as he hasnt had cattle over the road in months now

Bimota spares prices are really frightening. Think a new set of bodywork (if available) is something like US$6000. The Yamaha bits are cheap. I could do with a new headlight (one has a tiny chip) and that is only £45 new

At least with a bike you can change a clutch easily Wink . Down side with the 2 squeaks is that the pistons are service items

All the best

Keith
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum