Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

battery on series 3 1.7 8v

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Giuseppe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 12:23 pm    Post subject: battery on series 3 1.7 8v Reply with quote

Hi Guys

Once in a while i seem to have a problem with the car not starting indicating a possible flat battery.Even though it is a year old and i don't get the alternator light coming on in the dash Confused it fails to start especially in cold weather it is a bit of a lazy starter anyway.
Once i give it a quick charge it seems to be ok for another year or so - just wondering if anyone has had the same problem and what the cure might be i have had the car 10 years and only happened a few times.

Many Thanks

Giuseppe

alfa 33 1.7ie 8 valve
gritsop
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

It is advisable to have your battery charged every now and then even though you dont have signs of weakness (mainly weak starting)

About the lamp in the dash-Its use is to indicate a fault in the electrical system - when lit it means that the alternator doesnot charge the battery and the car runs from the battery only.
If you have observed when you start the engine and you rev it above 1500 rpm then it goes out. This means that the voltage regulator gives the power supply from the battery to the alternator.
Check your voltage with a voltometer before running the engine, then with the engine running.Try to switch on lights, heater, hazard lights, everything that consumes electrical power.
If you see around 13.5-13.7 V you are OK.

Anyway, you can also test your battery with a special tool (you can find one in can products stores) that sucks electrolyte from within and has a bar which is rated green , white and red.
Depending on the viscocity of the liquid the bar floats to the appropriate color;You then have a clear status about the length of the battery's life.

Regards,

http://www.alfa-restoration.co.uk
Parts Shop: www.alfa-restoration.co.uk/shop
GIUSEPPE

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 1:06 pm    Post subject: BATTERY ON SERIES 3 1.7 8 V Reply with quote

Hi

Thanks for your advice i will give it a charge and see what happens.

cheers

Giuseppe
Matthew Kirkcaldie
Alfasud

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 12:58 am    Post subject: Anyone recommend a replacement battery? Reply with quote

Our battery (in a series I 1.5 litre twin carb) has had it, I think - anyone recommend a decent replacement that's not too expensive in Australia?
Carl
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kmart has a sale on at the moment, the Exide Evolution E550HE is $92 (down from $108), that's the top of the line Exide battery and is the model they recommend for the GTV6...Smile Not the cheapest (you should be able to get a suitable battery for < $50, but a decent price on a very decent battery. (550 CCA, 100RC if you're interested). The "lesser" Exides are probably pretty good too and are also on sale, but I only buy Evolutions so can't speak from personal experience.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: