Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Front Springs

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 10:57 pm    Post subject: Front Springs Reply with quote

Hi

The front springs on my car are worn out. 12 years and 120000 miles old. This is contributing to too much negative camber on the front suspension which is wrecking the insides of the front tyres.

I have tried to get some new springs but they are no longer available. Those for the less sporting models are almost the same. Same diameter coiled rod, same diameter outer spring, same number of turns and the same flexability. The only difference is that the ones for the less sporting models are 321mm long rather than 311mm.

How much and what difference would this make? Especially considering that comparing my P4 (with its current springs) with a 1.3 series 3 reveals that the front end is about 30mm lower.

All the best

Keith
Adam H
Alfasud

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this prob with my 1.7 16v QV - departure from standard will mean my insurance co. clobbering me for extra premium.

I have a quote for 'PI' springs, delivered to me in uk for £95.00 but of course these are 30mm short - does that make them same height as stock springs or will they 'take out' the inside of my front tyre tread?

Anyone bought any lowered springs and fitted them to their 33?

Did you declare it to your insurers?

How much did they load your insurance premium?
Paul D.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 11:47 pm    Post subject: what are those insures doing? Reply with quote

On what ground do they charge more when you put lowered springs, and how the hell can they know that they're on your car?
Adam H
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(here in the UK) when you sign up for your car insurance you state that your car is unmodified, unless otherwise declared.

Your insurance also states that they hold the right to inspect your car at any time.

Some people do what they want to their car (engine, brakes, suspension, etc) and have no problems until they have an accident. The insurance co. will inspect the damage and say - this car is modified - you didn't insure a modified car with us, so we won't pay out.

so not only do you run the risk of having the damage to your car not paid for, but if you disabled someone that was driving a mercedes, it is going to cost you for a long time. (for having the wrong springs on your suspension - that is a very high price!)

A couple of years ago the papers carried a story of a woman whose insurance refused to pay out as she had spotlights fitted to her mini, and had not told them.

Hence why I was interested in the insurance premium loading people had experienced!!
Paul D.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 2:43 pm    Post subject: Now I see Reply with quote

Here in Belgium you only pay insurance based on age, kW's and your 'accident past' and the price of the car if very expensive. When it passens the anual check all is ok as everything is checked there. And even if you have an accident with modified parts the insurance has to pay untill proven that the accident is caused by the modified part.
Anyway, wouldn't like to get in any trouble with them as you mentioned, can cost you a life time indeed...

Regards!

Paul D.
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam H wrote:
I have this prob with my 1.7 16v QV - departure from standard will mean my insurance co. clobbering me for extra premium.

Same springs as the P4. Maybe we should get a batch made up

Adam H wrote:
I have a quote for 'PI' springs, delivered to me in uk for £95.00 but of course these are 30mm short - does that make them same height as stock springs or will they 'take out' the inside of my front tyre tread?

No, if they are 30mm short for the standard (ie, non P4, non QV springs) then they will be 20mm short for the P4 / QV.

Standard spring specs are:-

http://www.alfa-pages.co.uk/Fiche10/MF330004GB0100082.gif

Adam H wrote:
How much did they load your insurance premium?

They might load it a touch, but they should not load it much. While they could try to wiggle out of it there is not much they can really do. If it went to court they would need to show that the changes were relevant to the claim.

All the best

Keith
Adam H
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well today I had one of those phone calls, all about springs.

I had a chat with my insurance co - They wanted to load my premium £150 EXTRA if I fitted shorter springs to my 16v.

Thought I'd share this with you! I'm still looking for a front spring for a S3 16v cloverleaf - anyone offering one for sale?
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Might be worth seeing if we can get a batch made. Same springs are used on th front of the P4.

All the best

Keith
alfistjen
Alfasud

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 9:41 pm    Post subject: Paint them black...? Reply with quote

Here in belgium we have this new rule that when cars are checked technically before they get a new license plate, or when younger than 5 years they can only have lowered springs and shockers supplied by the producer of the car itself. As Alfa has the Eibachs etc... Problem is that you can't get it through MOT with H&R's springs then... Now all rally shops paint the shockers and springs black and nobody notices any 'modifications' on the cars at the MOT. I'm just wondering how far they would go at your guys place to check that out. £150 really is hell a lot more for some lower springs...... Confused
Or isn't that a possibility?
By the way, here in belgium once you have your license plate (it stays with the owner, not with the car) you can put in whatever you want. You can allways say it has been MOT'ted with the lowered stuff the year before so they can't make shit to you Razz I got throug with yellow koni's, lowered springs (also yellow) and a group N omp exhaust... says enough no? Wink

Regards!

Paul D!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in the UK our MOT inspection isn't about the originality of the car - it is about safety and environmental checks - my previous 33 passed the MOT no problems with lowered suspension and yellow spax rear shocks.

It is our insurance that would cause the problems if they find we have modified the car (not just a performance-related modification) and not told them - they simply would not pay for any claim we or anyone else made on the policy, although here in the UK getting any kind of payment from an insurance company is usually an ordeal!
Buck Bundy
Alfasud

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 11:46 pm    Post subject: Insurance nonsense Reply with quote

I have a mate who tried to change his bike insurance to his new Ducati (can't remember what from) and they wanted a big pile of dosh to change because it was standard.

So he told them it was modified and they reduced the premium substantially. Where's the sense in that?

I guess it all depends on the policy, issued under a certain scheme etc. Try for a new quote with a decent broker on a policy designed for performance cars or kit cars or the like, and you might find there is no difference with lowered springs or standard.

Buck
Matt Stolton
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:00 am    Post subject: Just my four peneth Reply with quote

I can't say I'm a great fan of Pi springs. I seem to have seen a lot of broken/snapped PI's over a very short time.

I myself have gone the Eibach route. The difference in cost betwen Eibach and Pi is only really two tanks of petrol, but they are so much better, and properly progressive.

Keith, if you are -30mm anyway, why not go for the Eibach type mod, and then shim out whatever you can to get the camber back up. Could be time for that rose jointing kit from AHM!! Laughing

Matt

Ex Alfa 33 'GTA' (P4 with Knobs On)
Now cruising in a 166 3.2 Ti!!
Eddie W
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something that I have found out recently and may be of relevence to this discussion is that Imprezza springs are very close to Alfa fronts. The sub standard springs are the same dia,0.2mm thinner wire and15mm longer. 4.5 coils as compared to the S1 4.75 and the s2 4.0.This leads me to believe that WRX springs may make a nice road option for the 33 or if you are good friends with your dentist, the STI springs could be even more sporting. I hope to do a comparison this weekend so will let you all know if this is an option. Also this opens up the possibility that after market springs for the Imprezza could also be options.
Regards Eddie
Bobby

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 1:36 pm    Post subject: other springs Reply with quote

Hey Eddie

What would you suggest for the rears if using imprezza springs up front?

1985 s1
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Just my four peneth Reply with quote

Matt Stolton wrote:
Keith, if you are -30mm anyway, why not go for the Eibach type mod, and then shim out whatever you can to get the camber back up. Could be time for that rose jointing kit from AHM!! Laughing

Hi

I want to avoid running the car 30mm lower. It grounds out on all the inverted pot holes that the council installs around here, and has a painfully bad ride when you go over a bump in the road.

All the best

Keith
RFlower
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 3:48 pm    Post subject: Front Springs Reply with quote

Hi
Does anyone in UK still repair, i.e. re-temper springs ?
Or is this only possible with leaf springs ?
Dick Flower, Nr. Carcassonne. '94 Trofeo 1.4 ie (F), '93 Imola 1.3/1.4 ie (now for breaking) (F), '91 1.7 ie (GB)(spare car), '86 Sprint 1.5 QV (F). '87 VW Syncro camper (F), '73 NSU Ro80 (F), '99 Fiat Seicento (F)
dd (again)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:53 pm    Post subject: Suplex and Others Reply with quote

Keith
Suplex do OEM equivalents plus the PRO900 lowering kit
Also check out The Instiute of Spring Technology
The manufacturers list is extensive and has links to their products
http://www.ioi.co.uk/test/extlnk/istc1.htm
(based in Sheffield, UK but links across the world inc Australia)
You could specify exactly what you want
- ie 15mm lower stan standard with the other dimensions the same
They can be made to order
- I would like my SportW lowered by 15mm
-- dd
dd (yet again)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 8:00 pm    Post subject: Airdale Springs Reply with quote

From the IST links go to Airedale Springs
Thery do ONe-OFFS - they are rather good
- they make the springs for Bentley!
And kit cars, will make one, four etc etc to your specifications
Their webpage
"You do not have to compromise with a standard catalogue item"
Contact them: sales@airedalesprings.co.uk
-- dd
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I found the Suplex web site and asked for a catalogue. A few days later a massive catalogue arrived. Unfortunatly they do springs for the standard 33 but not for the 16V or P4.

All the best

Keith
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: