Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Boxer not quite running right

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Finnland
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 2:29 am    Post subject: Boxer not quite running right Reply with quote

I've developed a problem with my '85 33 1.5 qv. It's not running onn all cylinders when hot. Cold it's no problem (fired right up today when it was -17 C). Disributor cap, leads and plugs are new. Any ideas where to look?

//Henrik

oo-v-oo
PJ

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 7:50 pm    Post subject: 33 not running right when hot Reply with quote

Henrik,

I'm no expert, but have you considered that it may be running rich for some reason - so the fuel mixture suits it when it's cold i.e. choke out, then when it warms up the mixture is too much for one cylinder.
First, remove plug leads one by one when running hot to identify which cylinder has the problem
Then, remove this spark plug and hold on an earth point when engine is running hot to check you're still getting a spark,
If spark is OK, then check fuel mixture is correct, either by 'colortune' system or similar.
Check choke is free moving and in 'off' position.
Hope that helps in some way.
Best of luck.
PJ. Smile
Eddie W
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Henrik
PJ is on to it. If you have Dellortos, the floats are plastic and get heavier over the years to the point where they make the engine way over rich by raising the float levels. It will commonly show up with the idle slowing down when sitting for a short while and can often be seen with air filter off with a slow drip from the mains on one of the rear chokes. The floats are supposed to weigh 10gms and while they will run with a bit more it is at the cost of efficiency.
Regards Eddie
Finnland
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thnx for the advice but I have webers on mine. Smile

oo-v-oo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 9:36 am    Post subject: Probs.. Reply with quote

Hi Henrik

Check the main jet tubes and idle jets. If a main jet /mixture tube is opened(left open) a bit, it will flood the engine. Had a similar prob with Webers.

Does the engine rev high?

TimoJ 33 1,5ti -89 (-15 only)
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: