Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

2nd gear still crunching??

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Errol
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 11:47 am    Post subject: 2nd gear still crunching?? Reply with quote

Hey all! I just got my gearbox reconditioned, that is, all the syncros replaced, including the infamous 2nd gear. I drove out of the work shop thinking ' wow this feels great '. Few days later I change 1st to 2nd at about 3500-4000rpm and crunch! Brand new gearbox and 2nd gear STILL crunches? Do I need to run it in a lot more or something. Because this is very frustrating after spending a fair bit of money. Any ideas? Thanks Wink
Falken 195 low profile
K&N Pod filter
Cannon 2inch exhaust from cat-back with 3inch tip.
Ben_nz
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The owner of the 33 I test-drove who had had his gearbox reconditioned told me he'd been back to the garage a second time, because the original job made the gearbox as bad as (or worse than) it had originally been. I drove the 'final product' and noticed no graunching, but I wasn't very familiar with 33s at that point and was probably driving and shifting like a granny.
PJ

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 10:36 pm    Post subject: 2nd gear crunch Reply with quote

Ben,

Have you tried revving it in to problem gears especially when changing down ? Some gearboxes just need that bit of help. My old Giullietta had the same 2nd gear problem and the 74 Spider I have now has to be put quickly in 2nd before 1st at rest, and quickly into 5th before reverse otherwise it crunches like a good 'un.
C'est la vie.
Eddie W
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Errol
A friend and I rebuilt the g/box on my daughters s2 and used the best syncros of what we had from 2boxes and it doesn't crunch at all. I built up the selector forks with Wearbraze and remachined them . They should last longer than original. When doing a box these should be replaced or rebuilt as I did because when worn they allow the sliding hub to tilt when engaging a gear and the synchro is then only partly effective. Ask your garage if these were done at the time. Also the sliding hubs can be worn as well although not quite as critical. I use a full synthetic oil in all of our Alfa boxes and find that it improves them markedly,especially after it has been in a while.Best of luck.
Regards Eddie
Errol
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice eddie. Ill keep an eye on how things go, and if it doesnt improve..I think I might have a kind word or two with my mechanic Twisted Evil
Falken 195 low profile
K&N Pod filter
Cannon 2inch exhaust from cat-back with 3inch tip.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: