Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

That terrible day (and wanted: a sensible Alfa in NSW)

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> For Sale & Wanted
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matthew Kirkcaldie
Alfasud

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 1:40 am    Post subject: That terrible day (and wanted: a sensible Alfa in NSW) Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I got the sad news yesterday that the engine and rust problems of our 33 are not really worth fixing. I therefore need to buy another car at some stage - I have some reservations about staying with Alfa (and my wife has even more reservations) but I would really like to find a good one.

Is anyone selling an Alfa under ten grand which would suit a young family and, most importantly, is in A1 nick and likely to stay that way?

I am thinking a 33 would still be the way to go, but am open to suggestion.

Cheers,

Matthew.
Graham
Alfasud

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matthew,

Im sorry to hear the bad news. I have a 1989 1.7 8 Valve that I am in finishing putting back together. It has a fully rebuilt engine with all new parts and porsche racing pistons, a rebuilt gearbox and clutch, 4 new tyres, metallic grey in colour, sunroof and a good tidy car it can be yours for $6000. I can arrange delivery down to you in Sydney and am negotiable on price. I could find a home for some of the parts on yolur old car and im sure we can work out something. Give me a buzz im sure you have my number somewhere.

Regards

Also own 2 Complete 16V Engines(Spare) And Have a Sud Rally Car in Production
Graham
Alfasud

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to add the hatch has had all the rust cut out and fixed with steel(not bog) and there is no rust in the rest of the car.

Also own 2 Complete 16V Engines(Spare) And Have a Sud Rally Car in Production
gritsop
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Matthew, I cannot understand why and how rust has rendered your car unworthy for fixing it - Ok I understand that Sydney is on coast but after all Aus has an inland climate that is more or less like the one of Greece.

In my country you can even find with some search Suds & Sprints that are rust free...

Anyway it is a sad story to have a car where rust spreads like a cancer.All the other problems can be fixed more or less.
The same story was my family's first car a 1976 Seat 127 - The motor was in moderate condition but rust had eaten the lower part of the door's windows, wheel arches, shock absorber base etc. Embarassed
No matter if we were fixing it rust was spreading to the next part of the metal...

So the car was withdrawn and the 33 was purchased, back in 1991.

Regards from Greece,

http://www.alfa-restoration.co.uk
Parts Shop: www.alfa-restoration.co.uk/shop
Matthew Kirkcaldie
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 11:41 pm    Post subject: Rust in Australia Reply with quote

Thanks for your kind words Thanassis. Australian climate varies so much that there are good and bad places to buy Alfas! I lived for 2.5 years in Newcastle on the coast, and the air there is very corrosive - everyone says it's the "salt air" from the sea but the place has had a lot of heavy steel industry as well, and you could certainly smell some bad things in the air sometimes. I think that was one of the main problems.

If you buy a car from Canberra or Tasmania, however, the high altitude and/or dry air usually means they are in excellent condition.

Our harsh sun and rough roads can do some damage, too - but the lack of salt on the roads is a plus for Aussie Alfas.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> For Sale & Wanted All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: