Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

P4 Rear brake caliper

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
graeme
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 11:44 am    Post subject: P4 Rear brake caliper Reply with quote

Hi,

Can anyone confirm whether the rear brake caliper on a P4 is the same as a standard FWD 16V?

Thanks.
alfistjen
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 12:33 pm    Post subject: doubt that Reply with quote

presume the rear disc caliper is much smaller as the standard front caliper from 16V as the rear discs aren't ventiladed and have smaller diameter.

Regards!

Paul D.
Buck Bundy
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 11:32 pm    Post subject: I'm confused. It doesn't take much. Reply with quote

Graeme,

I'm a little confused. Confused

Do you really mean are the P4 rear calipers the same as the FWD front calipers?

If you do then the answer is definately no. They are a lot smaller and the FWD calipers do not have a handbrake function.

Or...do you mean are the P4 rear calipers the same as FWD rear calipers?

If you do then the answer is Er? I wasn't aware the FWD cars had calipers. I thought they all had drum brakes. But if I'm wrong and some were fitted with rear disks, then I would imagine that they were the same.

Incidentally, I know of a few people who have converted sud front brakes to 33 style outboard brakes. But how did they manage with the handbrake? Did they fit P4 rear calipers, replace the rear disks with drums (a backward step, surely?) or is there another option? Question

Buck
graeme
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 11:56 pm    Post subject: P4 Rear brake caliper Reply with quote

Sorry for confusion caused by the "FWD" term.

What I mean is

Are the rear calipers on a P4 the same as the rear calipers on a 2 wheel drive 16V?

Incidentley, if anyone has the Alfs parts CD, can you confirm that looking up the rear brakes always displays rear drum brakes for the P4?

Thanks all

Graeme
graeme
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 11:58 pm    Post subject: P4 Rear brake caliper Reply with quote

Oh just re-read the replay, so all FWD cars had rear drums?

Dazed and confused.

Graeme
Peter D
Alfasud

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 8:24 am    Post subject: Rear discs on 33 P4 Reply with quote

I am not sure about a P4 (was never imported to my country), but on the FWD Alfa 33 the situation is, that if you order ABS on 1.5 i.e., 1.7 i.e. or 1.7 16V, you get discs at the rear. Normally it is always drums.

Peter (DK)
BILL
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only the ABS models had disks at the rear.Dont know about the callipers but the rear disks are the same for all the models.
Buck Bundy
Alfasud

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 12:42 pm    Post subject: You live and learn! Reply with quote

Thanks for that, I wasn't aware that the front wheel drive cars *could* have had disks.

I wish I had ABS on my P4 - I might still have it!

Buck
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: