Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Converting to LPG Gas?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmmoss
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 7:27 am    Post subject: Converting to LPG Gas? Reply with quote

Hi there!

Just been for an interview for a job which (if I get) will require me to commute over 1000km weekly - and in an Alfa 33 that is a big fuel bill in any country. I get a maxium of 450km withtout using the reserve on pertrol out of my 1.5 1987 33. Has anybody converted their 33 to LPG Gas and what did it run like? Anybody know anywhere in Melbourne which converts old cars like the 33 to LPG cheap and well? Here in Melbourne we get LPG from 29.9 cents a litre. That is about 15p a litre in pounds sterling so you can see the temptation! Out of interest, my Alfa Romeo 33's owner's manual gives tyre pressures for cars fitted with LPG tanks in the back (basically 2psi more for the back wheels) - so it must be feasible!

Thanks,
JON
Matt Stolton
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 12:59 am    Post subject: I wsa chatting about that today... Reply with quote

I was talking to Lloyd at clovertech earlier today, when LPG came up.

The fuel efficiency/price are obvious reasons to go for it, and pretty much any 4 stroke, injected engine will be modifiable to LPG, as is my understanding.

There may be even some performance gains from taking the liquid 'gas' and releasing the pressure of it in the inlets to form gas 'gas', which could cool the intake charge. However the weight of the tank would probably negate any power gains. Also, I believe the flame power (energy released from combustion) may not be quite as good as petrol, as less gas volume is formed, and at a lower temperature.

However, our main discussion was over its 'dryness'. Our engines/carbs/heads/whatever are kinda designed for 'wet' gas flow. We all came to a conclusion that LPG could run cold and dry, and we weren't sure about the longevity of stuff, without the petrol 'lubrication'.

On a modern american V8 (i.e. a brick out house designed push rod thing) we concluded it was probably OK, but for more highly refined engines (e.g. Jap or European stuff) we were unsure to the long term durability.

Either way, 33 boots are not the biggest things in the world, would you want to loose even more?

Matt

Ex Alfa 33 'GTA' (P4 with Knobs On)
Now cruising in a 166 3.2 Ti!!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum