Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

ticking noise in 1st cilinder

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marcin
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 7:00 pm    Post subject: ticking noise in 1st cilinder Reply with quote

Hi all,

after the recent head gasket replacement I'm experiancing the following problem. When I start the engine there's a ticking (or better clacking) noise coming from the 1st and 3rd cilinder bank. The symptoms are:
- when the engine is accelerating or at constant rpm, the noise is present;
- when the accelerator is released (engine slowing down) the noise disappears;
- there is no noticable power loss;

Today I isolated the problem to cilinder no.1. When I disconnect de connector of the electronic injector - the noise disappears... The noise also disappears when I disconnect the spark plug lead. Summarizing: if there is no combustion in cylinder no.1, then there is no noise.

Before today I thought that the hydraulic tappets are the problem. But now I think I have to drop that theory, as with the tappets the noise would remain even without combustion (true?).

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Marcin
Marcin
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally found the problem Very Happy

The ticking noise was caused by the broken gasket between no.1 cylinder and exhaust manifold. Every time exhaust gases were forced out of the cilinder, the ticking noise appeared. Now I also understand why the noise disappeared when I disconnected the ignition or released the throttle.

Anyhow: easy and cheap to fix Exclamation

Marcin
bobbber
P4

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcin,

I also have a 'ticking' noise... but it goes away when the engine is warm. I'm wondering if something similar is my problem!

I thinking perhaps the metal is expanding when it gets hot, thus 'filling the gap'

What do you think?!
Marcin
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobbber,

can you isolate the ticking to a certain cilinder?

What I learned, also from this forum, is that a ticking noise that goes away when the engine becomes warm might have something to do with the oil not getting to the tappets when engine is cold. Some time ago there was a topic "oil filters", which gave some interesting comments on the importance of the non-return valve in the filter. This valve would prevent the oil from flowing back to the pan after the engine was turned off. Also the oil viscosity can be an issue. Are you using 10W40? Higher cold viscosity makes it more difficult for the oil to flow through the engine.

Just some thoughts. Anyway: I hate ticking noises!

Cheers,

Marcin
bobbber
P4

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the sharp reply!

Yes, using 10w40, but thought some thicker oil might shut it up. It hasn't so going to 5W40 soon!

And yes, my oil filter already has a non-return valve.

Rob
Dicko
Alfasud

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 7:11 pm    Post subject: Look further down the list. Reply with quote

Look for subject:

"Piston Slap or valves?!"
bobbber
P4

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know Dicko!!! That was MY subject!!!! LOL!

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: