Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Bleeding clutch slave cylinder

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Patrick
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 5:39 pm    Post subject: Bleeding clutch slave cylinder Reply with quote

Hi everbody,

I'm currently changing my gearbox and want to replace the clutch slave cylinder as well. The old one is already out, but now to my question:

Can I bleed the new cylinder in a not completely assembled state, i.e. without the gearbox and clutch lever in place, or will this lack of resistance cause the slave cylinder to fall out?

Second question: If I open the hydraulic system to put in the new clutch slave cylinder, do I also have to bleed the complete brake system?
Or is it unlikely that air will get into the brake circuit?

Any advive is greatly aprreciated!

Regards

Patrick

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello from Greece,

It is adviceable to bleed the slave cylinder when it is placed in its position.
Consider two parameters
a. The clutch lever is so difficult to move that not even a long screwdriver (>40cm) could move it
b. Bleed the cylinder being on the gearbox because as you said it might fall
To my experience (I have overhauled mine) do the following:
fill the inner of the cylinder with brake fluid as much as you can and then assemble the rubber boot along with the small steel rod which pushes the lever. Then bleed the cylinder by always keeping an eye to the fluid tank not to drop below the min level. As much fluid as it is needed will then enter the cylinder.
Conserning brake bleeding:If the fluid tank doesnot fall below the min level then no air will enter the brake pipes and you wont need brake bleeding.
So always keep an eye to the tank.
Thats all about it.
Yvon
Alfasud

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Patrick,

I did the job twice on a 1.7IE and never have to bleed brake circuit. As our friend from Greece mention it, do not leave the level going under the minimum.

Idea Do not open the brake cover and leave it closed when circuit is open and when you work on it. When circuit is closed again, the new cylinder in place, bleed when clutch is in place. You can't bleed if clutch is droped, cylindre will fall. Rolling Eyes

I wish you a very good job and full of succes,
Yvon
Patrick
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 8:40 pm    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice guys! This will help me complete the job!

Greetings

Patrick
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: