Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Flywheel ringear

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rjbevan
Alfasud

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:22 pm    Post subject: Flywheel ringear Reply with quote

Does anyone know if you can still get a new ringgear for a 1.5 Alfa engine (in the UK)? Also are all the flywheels the same for the Alfa Boxer models? The reason for asking is that someone I know has a 1.5 Alfa engine and the ringgear is in a poor state but his local engine reconditioner says you can't get them anymore. But he has a 1.7 16V engine and is thinking of swapping them over.

Richard
Chris Notsis
Alfasud

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:27 am    Post subject: Ring gear Reply with quote

As far as I know, the are the same. Ring gears can be hard to locate for most Alfas; often the best solution is to replace the whole flywheel or get a new after-market model (though not a lightened one because of the inherrent NVH problems that can arise).

Note - for the ring gear to wear, it suggests that the starter has a lazy solenoid and pinion gear. Hopefully the starter will be replaced or reconditioned. Consider adding a relay (30A is OK, but go for something higher) to the starter circuit.
rjbevan
Alfasud

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Chris Smile , I'll pass your comments on. I think the car has not been used for some time, so he has many jobs to get it going properly.

Richard
sud 35
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Richard,

The 16V flywheel has an additional row of timing teeth on it to activate the timing sensor. If you put in a 16V flywheel, you will have to get the 16V starter or space the 1.5 one out about 20mm to engage the starting teeth properly.

I had this problem a couple of years ago when we put a 16V engine in the race car, but still used the 1.5 starter.

Regards,
Jason.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 2:15 pm    Post subject: Ring gear Reply with quote

Thanks for this info, Richard. Learn something new every day; in this case, it makes perfect sense.
lesthegringo
Alfasud

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 11:04 am    Post subject: weights Reply with quote

Just a point of note - I have a 16v flywheel and an 8 valve flywheel (carb model), and I will be fitting the 8v one to my 16v. Why?

The 16v flywheel weights 7784g, and has a lot of that weight concentrated aorund the rim, where it will be a massive inertail flywheel.

The 8v flywheel weighs 6650g, with none of the weight of the additional toothed wheel, plus it enables the starter to be installed with no spacer, so a small (50g? havent measured it) weight saving, but also moves the starter back slightly, giving more space. It also means a better resonse from the engine. The 16v clutch bolts directly to it.

Before you ask, the toothed wheel is now part of the alternator belt pulley (no power steering or air con in my homebuilt car) so the sensor is now a 36-1 (ford style) small diameter disc at the front of the engine. This also allowed me to reduce the weight of the front pulley by almost 1 kg, although the diameter is small so you don't get too much advantage from this.

Les
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: