Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

changing the clutch assemby?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TROY from dubbo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 3:08 am    Post subject: changing the clutch assemby? Reply with quote

i own a QV 33 series 1 (1490cc) front wheel drive and i wanted to know if anyone could explain the goings on in changing the clutch? is it a straight forward operation? are there any special tools/knowledge required? am i wasting my time and should a professional do it? any answers would be appreciated. thanks!
Keith - Not logged on

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Basically you need to split the engine from the gearbox. Doing it at home with normal tools it will probably be easiest to just drop the engine and gearbox out of the car.

All the best

Keith

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers!
Chris Notsis
Alfasud

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:21 am    Post subject: Clutch change Reply with quote

As well as what Keith recommends, take careful note of the position of the top engine mount. Ensure that the engine is re-fitted to the same point, as this can affect other relative angles, such as the drive shafts and steering arms. There is no specification from Alfa on this and can vary from car to car. IF the mount position has never been altered, then assume it was correct to begin with.

Consider having the flywheel skimmed and replace the rear main seal. Ensure the alignment is spot-on too. Other cars have a greater degree of tolerance; not the 33.

Which kit are you going to use? Valeo is the best one. They supply to Alfa, but get the non-Alfa (ie: not packaged as an OEM Alfa kit) - the price difference can be a couple of hundred dollars! Any other kit (non-Valeo) is questionable in quality. Be sure to use a stiff grease on the shaft and fork. Check the condition of the fork. The pin / dowel can have a tendency to wear, break or punch a hole in the locating dome of the fork. While all is out, consider also changing the nylon bushes on the gear selector assembly. The button-like bush in front of the selector arm (that sits in a trough) can be wrongly supplied - there are two types, so match it correctly.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: