Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Big end bearings

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charlie
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 2:42 pm    Post subject: Big end bearings Reply with quote

Hi chaps.

i have got my car over the pit and am in the process of getting the engine out. I am doing this because a cambelt snapped on the engine and i suspect bent valves is likely. I have noticed a lot of dirty oil around where the fly wheel is on the engine. this is usually a sign that the big end bearings need replacing. SO i am goning to have to get my mechaninic to rebuild th bottom and top ends of the unit. Is this too costly and should i just be looking to get a different unit and chuck that in instead. Confused

Advice or suggestions welcome

Cheers Rolling Eyes

Spaghetti and Meatballs

33 16v elegante Smile
Scott Sander
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie,

Well I'd still go for an engine rebuild. At least you know what you have after faulking out all the hard earned stuff. Shocked

While you’re at it replace the clutch and water pump, if they have not been done recently. Of course you'll look at the piston rings as well. Make sure you use a genuine AR gasket kit, especially for the head gaskets. Laughing

When I did my motor a few years ago, we also did the welsh plugs and gave the block a couple of coats of paint. Idea
Charlie
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 5:15 pm    Post subject: welsh plugs? Reply with quote

I am planning to paint the block when it is out i think. I am debating over colours , obvious choice is red. i may be being stupid but what are welsh plugs when they are at home? I am thinking of getting the plenum chamber sand blasted back to origional because it appears o have suffered a bad coat of paint by a previous owner. Is this a good idea to get it back to its origional state. Ah the little things. Rolling Eyes

Spaghetti and Meatballs

33 16v elegante Smile
Charlie
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 5:17 pm    Post subject: power steering fluid is black as well? Reply with quote

The power steering fluid is black and nasty looking as opposes to red. Is this a sign of problems or should i just flush the lot out and replace with new stuff?

Spaghetti and Meatballs

33 16v elegante Smile
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Think Welsh plugs are known is the uk as core plugs

All the best

Keith
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: