Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

1984 Alfa Romeo Giulietta 116 vs Alfa 33

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joninaustralia

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:18 am    Post subject: 1984 Alfa Romeo Giulietta 116 vs Alfa 33 Reply with quote

Has anybody owned or driven a Alfa Romeo Giulietta 116 - the 1980's edition of this car? It is the cheapest Alfa available here in Australia, and I have seen one for only $600 - I was thinking about it for a second car. It is 2.0 litres and apparently goes 0-100 km (0-60mph) in 9.2 seconds which sounds very good! Anybody had any experience with them before I part with my cash?
Ravi - not logged in

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a 116 Alfetta, which is essentially the same as the Giulietta - presuming you're talking about the 2.0 litre one. Same engine, wheel base - everything except for the body shape.

It was a great car - in fact i had two before i got my 33. Great mid range torque and was a much more comfortable car to ride in than the 33. Rear wheel drive and surprisingly agile through the corners with 50:50 weight distribution.

Myself, I never much liked the styling of the Giulietta, but if it's a driver's car you're after then the Giulietta would be good fun!
Adam H
Alfasud

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too had a Giulietta 116 - my opinions are as Ravi's, except I DID like the styling, mine was the 1.8 which was great to drive.

Someone please offer me a good one here in the UK!

Adam H
alfavirusnz

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 3:54 am    Post subject: 116 giulietta compared to 33. Reply with quote

I have had 4 Giuliettas 1.8`s and 2litres and think they are a great car, arguably better than a 33. I think they are undervalued because they are still seen as a complex car compared to most. However as one who does all his own maintenance (ex Alfa/Ferrari/Lancia/Porsche and Fiat garage owner) they are as easy if not easier to work on-for example I`d rather do a clutch on a 116 than a 33 and I wish all cars bonnets opened vertically as does a Giulietta`s, or has as much room around the engine as does a Giulietta`s. They feel(and are) a much heavier car than a 33 and as such don`t feel as "nippy" or as agile and the old twin cam 4 feels a little agricultural compared to the boxer but in reality a good one can stay with a 33 on the windy bits and feels very stable. Gearchanges vary from awful but does the job to very precise, depends on the car. Worse things about the 116 Giulietta`s though is quality is so variable compared to 33`s, not so much in the engines but in everything else from way body puts together, the rustiness or complete absence of rust in the body and the exterior window frames and bumper frames, the electrics, paint quality and suspension -some right from new felt much better than others.
The other thing is the ventilation, which as you are in Australia might be something to consider as nowhere near as good as a 33 and it certainly effects comfort especially hot days in slow city traffic.

Richard Jones,
Christchurch,
New Zealand.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum