Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Fuel tank replacement

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Patrick
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 2:53 pm    Post subject: Fuel tank replacement Reply with quote

Hi all!

I'm about to change the fuel tank on my 33 1.7 i.e. (1992). Can anyone give me some tips on the practical issues while doing the work?

for example:

What other parts should be replaced together with the tank (I will do the top gasket and the steel liners holding the thing)?

What is the best way to remove the fuel from the tank before starting the work?

Is it possible to do the job alone or are two people required?

Best Regards

Patrick
What is the best way to protect the new tank from corrosion?
gritsop
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

It is good to replace the fuel hoses that go towards the pump and the engine. They are standard ones if I recall 0,8 mm and the others a little larger probably 1 or 1.2 cm diameter.
Also it is good to replace the big hose that connects the plastic tube to the fuel tank and in addition do replace the rubber boot the connects the fuel cap to the plastic tube (see topic http://www.alfa-pages.co.uk/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=1568&sid=caa3480df0c4d1355d54ef7e6e8805a1)

The best way to remove the tank if you don't want to involve the mechanics is to place the rear of the car in two supports (on the rear axle) and then remove the two metals strips that hold the tank in place. It is the best way to have the car secured and do your job relatively easy.

Remove the small filter located inside the tank which usually holds quite an amount of dirt-wash it with plenty of petrol.
Regarding the fuel pump; put in petrol, shake it so that it cleans the inside.

There is a way to open the pump without destroying it.If you undo the spots on the cylinder (on the side where the electrical connections are) and patiently move the plastic element right or left or rotating it, you can open it and clean the inside of the cylinder from the dirt. Then it can be reassembled doing the opposite steps of removal. You should have with you a chuck tool (the one that as you bolt in the handle, it squeezes the item among the jaws) so that the pump comes to its original place.

The best way to protect the tank is to remove it once per 2 years so that you clean inside the dirt and take out the water that will be located. The fuel contains some quantity of water inside which accumulates through the years.

Hope this helps, feel free to ask whatever you may need,

Regards,

http://www.alfa-restoration.co.uk
Parts Shop: www.alfa-restoration.co.uk/shop
RFlower
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is info on fuel tank replacement in string "Noisy fuel pump" in General section, 11 May 2004
Dick Flower, Nr. Carcassonne. '94 Trofeo 1.4 ie (F), '93 Imola 1.3/1.4 ie (now for breaking) (F), '91 1.7 ie (GB)(spare car), '86 Sprint 1.5 QV (F). '87 VW Syncro camper (F), '73 NSU Ro80 (F), '99 Fiat Seicento (F)
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: