Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

slack clutch pedal

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 8:19 pm    Post subject: slack clutch pedal Reply with quote

it gets better...

I jumped into my car to run it up as has been standing on drive for 2weeks now after driving it back from garage post mot failure pending indicator, horn, strut pan etc repair.. etc. so any way this evenin i started car up... let it warm up. sounding engine again tickled my fancy and thaught a quick spin round block wont hurt.. so i shut door buckled seat belt , give engine another tickel. press clutch pedal... 'whats this' no clutch .. totally slack?? hells bells.
totally undrivable.

V weird? as was fine before when drove it and reversed it up on the drive. however clutch was gettin heavy last time i drove it but still operational.

any ideas what has happened ? would that be clutch cable snapped?

Hmmmmhhmm? Ohhhoooow Betty! I'm 'avvin a bita trouble!
Jonathan
(v polished shiny but otherwise v inoperational 8v'er)
Devon uk

ps.
Devon version...(abridged)
".....What 'Append Woz.. pressed this 'ere pedal doown . n nout 'Appened C?
Woz v strange has woz workin last time V strange. Can E b fixedable?
James Granger
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First thing that I would check would be to see whether the pin connecting the pedal to the master cylinder hasn't fallen out. Its held in by a circlip. If it isn't that, then I would check the fluid level to see whether any leak is apparent.

Do all 33's (including yours) have hydraulic clutches like on the series 3?
Chris Notsis
Alfasud

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 2:28 am    Post subject: no clutch Reply with quote

Very likely the clutch slave cylinder has failed seals. Not uncommon symptoms of this when a Sud/33 has been left standing a while. In some cases, fluid does not leak out but air seems to get in. The effect is the same.
flyingROMEO

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi to all. I have the same problem. My clutch pedal is totally slack too, but I noticed that clutch withdrawal lever looks like nothing hold it and I can push, pull it into all directions, seems that cluth doesn't exsist at all.(Sory for my terrible english)
JF

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 3:55 pm    Post subject: slack pedal Reply with quote

Good grief, this is happening to everyone!

I too have just got back from 2 weeks away and found a slack clutch pedal Shocked

(last year I came back to a dried up and knackered water pump - while the wifes old Skoda just starts up whenever and runs around quite happily....bugger!)

My solution for this slack clutch pedal was to refill the now fairly empty fluid reservoir and pump the brake pedal a couple of times, and hold it down, then gently pump the clutch pedal for a few minutes, eventually the system self-bled itself. This helpful tip came from Mal at Trentside Classic Cars (handily 4 doors down the road, and majorly into Alfa's!).

If the level keeps going down then you prob have a seal gone in the slave sylinder. If, like mine, it doesn't - then it is one of those mysteries peculier to 33's!

Happy pumping Very Happy

Regards, James F
Chris Notsis
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 8:29 am    Post subject: Slave Reply with quote

The reason the cyl is dry and there is no puddle on the ground is that a vacuum exists in the line, causing fluid to be drawn back into master cylinders. Air is drawn back into the slave cylinder via the worn seals. This also indicates that the master cyl. seals are on their way out too.
flyingROMEO

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cylinder are fine, problem in the clutch itself. The lever which is pushing bearing is loose, seems that there aren'n any bearing and clutch at all, and I think that discator's pinions are broken, but I'm not sure. Anyway thanks for helping.
Chris Notsis
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 1:44 pm    Post subject: Clutch fork Reply with quote

Now the story is clear!

It is possible the pivot pin is broken or it has punched a hole in the fork. You won't know for sure until the thing is pulled apart.
Patrick
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 3:26 pm    Post subject: Pin on slave cylinder Reply with quote

Hi,

not sure if I'm getting the point on this one, but the pin on the slave cylinder that actually pushes the fork that releases the clutch bearing is supposed to be "free". It is actually just held be the rubber gasket. I think this is done to allow for movement in the system, as the fork is also only held by one pin and the bearing itself.

If you ever get your fingers on a new slave cylinder you will see that you can freely move the pin.

Regards

Patrick
Eddie W
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the guys above are referring to the throwout pivot pin which is just a rollpin or spring dowel. This could wear through to the point of breaking but the more likely scenario is that the throwout bearing has worn the fingers through on the pressure plate. You see few 33s with any sort of mileage that don't have gross wear of the fingers and I've seen dozens of used clutches where the fingers are worn away.
Regards Eddie
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: