Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Car running rough when cold

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paddy granger
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 12:50 pm    Post subject: Car running rough when cold Reply with quote

Is it normal for a 33 to run very rough for about 3 mins before it warms up a bit? With rough, I mean that I get the sensation that the engine is extremely tight, and that the pistons are held in place by pressure, almost as if the valves are sticking. It will cruise with no probs at 40 km/h, but will stutter a bit, and then when downshifting with a throttle blip a back fire normally occurs. On acceleration from stand still, I even had two backfires the other day.

Once the engine has been running for about 3 mins it loosens up and drives perfectly. Engine oil is new, and have had the same problem for 4 years - as long as we have had the car.

Maybe a fuel supply problem?

Paddy
gritsop
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

What about the extra air solenoid valve? It should give more air to the engine in order to make the mixture richer during the warm-up process.

It would be a beginning to trace the problem.

Regards,

http://www.alfa-restoration.co.uk
Parts Shop: www.alfa-restoration.co.uk/shop
ZeNiTh-PbArM
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 5:59 pm    Post subject: re : rough running Reply with quote

hi,

if your car is a 1.3 ie alfa 33 fitted with marelli fuel sustem, it is perfectly normal since the injection fires in asynchronous mode during 120 seconds when starting the car from cold, then switches to synchronous mode and the car runs well after.
perhaps are some other fuel systems functionning the same way.

regards,
zp
paddy granger
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: re : rough running Reply with quote

ZeNiTh-PbArM wrote:
hi,

if your car is a 1.3 ie alfa 33 fitted with marelli fuel sustem, it is perfectly normal since the injection fires in asynchronous mode during 120 seconds when starting the car from cold, then switches to synchronous mode and the car runs well after.

regards,
zp

Merci! That answers the question - it is more like 2 minutes, and it is a 1351 cc IEL with Marelli.

Razz
BILL
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: re : rough running Reply with quote

paddy granger wrote:
ZeNiTh-PbArM wrote:
hi,

regards,
zp

Merci! That answers the question - it is more like 2 minutes, and it is a 1351 cc IEL with Marelli.

Razz

Same happens to my 33.When cold i cant get over 4000rpm ,like something is halting the engine.But after 2 or 3 minutes it works fine.In my 33 when starting the engine you must wait for the red(temp warning)light and the orange (low fuel)light to turn off before start moving.I follow the procedure when the engine is cold but when hot i sometimes dont.Does your 33 have the same system ?
paddy granger
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I think it does - I always wait for the lights to turn off before starting the engine. I suppose it is best to allow the engine to warm up a bit on idle before driving off. Obvioussly one should always wait until the engine is warm before putting the foot down.
Sergio
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW have you checked your HT leads? I had a 1.3s (two double webbers) and she disn't like the first minutes either... replaced the HT leads and was fine...

Though this might not be your case Wink..... just giving my personal experience Wink

all the best

Sérgio

Driving a 33 1.7 16v QV & Lancia Musa
BILL
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paddy granger wrote:
Yes, I think it does - I always wait for the lights to turn off before starting the engine. I suppose it is best to allow the engine to warm up a bit on idle before driving off. Obvioussly one should always wait until the engine is warm before putting the foot down.

I start the engine -wait for the lights to turn off-then drive Confused .Ideal would be to have an oil temp gauge Idea ,then we would know when the engine is ready to run all the way to the red rpms.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: