Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Violent vibration from driveline from standing starts

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
James Granger
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 11:42 pm    Post subject: Violent vibration from driveline from standing starts Reply with quote

A problem which I have been encountering on a frequent basis for the past year is a violent vibration coming from the driveline when pulling away from standing start in 1st gear. It does not happen all the time, but its enough for my concern.

Basically the car starts to shake violently from the RHS, as if the gearbox is basically yanking itself loose from the rest of the car. When this happens the RHS driven wheel feels as if it isn't locating properly at all, and as if it is basically 'kangarooing' at high speed. When this happens, the car shakes so violently that you can hear the exhaust hitting against the underneath of the bodywork.

Normally the car takes off fine, and it handles like a dream. What could the problem be? The clutch seems fine - the fluids are all ok and new. Could it be that the 1st gear isn't engaging 100% sometimes?

It certainly isn't how the car should behave. Any suggestions would be welcome!

Confused
Eddie W
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi James, I would suspect engine mounts( including stabiliser) or suspension bushes which can produce this effect. Good luck.
Regards Eddie
paddy granger
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eddie,

An example: In a traffic jam, you put it in first gear and you slowly let the clutch out, you can already feel it shaking slightly. If you then take it out of gear, and put it back in it is fine. It is as if the first gear doesn't engage 100% sometimes. It is only first gear, and I am almost sure that it is to do with the gear selection itself. If the gear is engaged properly, it won't jump at all. It is only sometimes when setting off for the first time after engaging the gear, like at a traffic light.

Patrick
gritsop
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I also have this problem when starting from cold. I attribute this problem to the clutch being cold at the first minutes of operation. By clutching-declutching sometimes in the road the problem goes away.
By the way I replaced the stabiliser bar few days ago and the car has difference when setting off - the engine now feels better attached to the chassis.

Edit: here are two pics I quickly took from the old bar:

See how the rubber has gone bad-this due to the oil that drops everytime the oil filter is changed Confused So the pattent for the new bar was to put a round plastic piece on the top of the rubber, applied a layer of silicone in order to keep it in place - so the oil that drops will be kept on the cover and will eventually drop on the road. Wink

Regards,

http://www.alfa-restoration.co.uk
Parts Shop: www.alfa-restoration.co.uk/shop
Marcin
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

also my Alfa experiances the problem James describes. Sometimes the vibration is so heavy, that I'm wondering if the gearbox is still there... At the moment I'm trying to overcome this problem by letting the clutch come up very very slowly in 1st gear. This is of course not very healthy for the clutch, but I simply don't have the time to take a closer look and fix the problem. Do you think it could be the one of the gearbox bearings? To me this shaking feels like one of the shafts was not held in place properly. Another reason for me to suspect bearings is that there is a obvious crunching sound coming from the gearbox when the car is in neutral and the clutch pedal is released. When I press the clutch pedal, the noise disapperars, so it must be coming from the gearbox.

Now I'm looking for a cheap engine/gearbox, so I can overhaul my own unit while still able to use the car Smile

Cheers,

Marcin
gritsop
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Marcin, I also have this rattling when in neutral and clutch pedal released. However this has been going for all of the car's life. So I think that it is not something to worry about.
Also it should be noted that we did not have ANY problems with the gearbox so far (except 2nd gear synchro).

I would add that this is Alfa's secret - to keep you alert by all means and all sounds Wink

Regards,

http://www.alfa-restoration.co.uk
Parts Shop: www.alfa-restoration.co.uk/shop
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: