Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

inboard front brakes

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Motorsport, Racing & Trackdays
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hugh jinjin
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 10:43 pm    Post subject: inboard front brakes Reply with quote

I am preparing a Sud Sprint for sprinting and am trying to decide on front brake spec. The car has inboard discs at the moment, a layout I would like to keep if possible ,to keep down unsprung weight .Has anyone any experience of big brake conversions for the inboard set up?
Dreamracers
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant answer your question. Sorry Hugh. Just interested in your project as I hope to do some sprinting and maybe hill climbing next year in the South West of the UK. Where you hoping to run your car?

RFlower
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cooling is a bigger problem with inboard discs, possibly improved by ducting more air to them and using suitable fluid.

I have another car with inboard discs, and have boiled the fluid 3 times in road use. Rather scary, as absolutely no warning!
Dick Flower, Nr. Carcassonne. '94 Trofeo 1.4 ie (F), '93 Imola 1.3/1.4 ie (now for breaking) (F), '91 1.7 ie (GB)(spare car), '86 Sprint 1.5 QV (F). '87 VW Syncro camper (F), '73 NSU Ro80 (F), '99 Fiat Seicento (F)
hugh jinjin
Alfasud

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dreamracer, I doubt that our paths will cross. I will be competing in the central belt of Scotland (Glasgow/Edinburgh) and I don't think it will be next season either! I am halfway through a house renovation/extension and my wife is expecting a baby any day now so the sprint project has to take a back seat.
What spec/class are you intending to run in?
I will be building the sprint to Scottish Sprint Championship 1800cc road saloon spec. The car must be fully road legal, with lights,wipers etc but some lightening of bodywork is permitted. Mechanical mods are fairly free and a walk round the paddock reveals Jenvey throttle bodies, fancy dry sump systems etc! My engine is a 16v 33 but I can't afford the 200plus bhp that some of the guys must have.
As for the boiling brakes issue, Dick ,I think that with the mods you suggest plus vented discs and racing calipers I shouldn't have too many problems since most runs only last a couple of mins anyway.
As far as I see it the main issue of concern with big inboard brakes and sticky tyres is overloading the driveshafts under heavy braking.If a driveshaft failed when braking from over 100mph!!!!!!
Does anyone know of any such failures or am I being paranoid?
lesthegringo
Alfasud

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 4:38 pm    Post subject: no, but Reply with quote

Not, but I have had a friend who broke the disc attachment lugs, with much the same effect.

Bigger diameter brakes are out, as they would hit the engine crakcase rear cover. Wider vented discs are possible, but be prepared to pay....

Les
mark pollard

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 5:33 pm    Post subject: brakes Reply with quote

I used to hillclimb and sprint with inboard brakes - no problems. Fine for racing too - for the first five laps!
Pete Cate used to race a highly modified 'sud using vented discs and modded Kawasaki bike calipers. It was probably the fastest racing 'sud ever - so it can be done
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Motorsport, Racing & Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: