Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Boxful of neutrals

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anathema

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 1:22 pm    Post subject: Boxful of neutrals Reply with quote

The gearbox on my 1992 1.5 ie has developed a fault. I am only able to select 3rd and fourth gear and it is like stirring porridge. I suspect that the gate has slipped and am wondering whether it is possible to rectify this from the top or whether gearbox removal and dismantling will be required. Thanks
Wizz
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can fix quite a number of things without removing the gearbox alltogether.
Take a look at this diagram:

If you remove the bolts at details B and C, you should be able to tilt the entire engine / gearbox assembly, giving much needed space around the selector arm.

You can also access all the 'internal organs' (Wink) by removing the bottom plate with the gearbox still mounted. Needless to say, remove the oil first. Rolling Eyes
anathema
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for your help. I am hoping that the problem will be in the linkage somewhere as the prospect of dismantling a gearbox fills me with dread. I guess I'm just going to have to take a spanner to it and hope for the best...
paulhide
P4

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds very like linkage to me. Most likely where the bar attached to the gearstick enters the gearbox where there is a split pin or if it's an older type actually at the base of the gearstick.
Dicko
Alfasud

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:57 am    Post subject: Hanging the engine? Reply with quote

Hi,

is it really a good idea to support the engine wholey from the centre mount. I avoided this when changing my engine as I was scared to put force irreguarly on the already weak front end structure.???/]
Dick
Eddie W
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no experience of the s3 but I understand that a frequent problem with symptoms like yours is the loss of a circlip or some such from where the linkage attaches to the selector rod that enters the gearbox.. On the s2 the vertical pin on the end of said shaft faces upward and the sleeve of the gear linkage that fits around it can't really go anywhere. However on the s3 that is reversed so that the loss of the circlip allows the sleeve to drop down resulting in major selection problems such as you describe. That would be the first area I would look at as it seems to be quite common.
Regards Eddie
anathema
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem was indeed a missing circlip in the gear linkage and I have now fixed it. Thank you all for your help.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: