Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

any suggestions for audio

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vassil
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 6:40 pm    Post subject: any suggestions for audio Reply with quote

Hi,

I decided to buy some audio for my 33. Can you give me some ideas for speakers, cds, subwoofers that sound good in 33? I have 33 sportwagon 92 and i'm planning to spend about 300 euro
thanks

I don't know anything about the technical stuff involved or exact prices so i will be thankful for any kind of help.
Wizz
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stumbled upon this the other day:
http://www.nk-h.dk/ar3317ie/
Might give you an idea for at least the front speakers.
The set of speakers that he's using amounts to about €107.
sudman
Alfasud

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stay tuned, and within a couple of months there should be a serious audio system in the Sud.

Otherwise just shop round, listen to various brands and see what YOU think sounds good.
Matt Stolton
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 2:56 pm    Post subject: JL Audio Reply with quote

JL audio do a nice 3.5 Inch speaker which, with a little messing around with fashioning a mounting plate, can be made to fit in place of the original speakers, by the front occupant's knees.

However, 3.5" will not, and can not, give out bass. My set up has a further pair of JL 4" in the rear doors (the P4 has cut outs for this), but has twin JL 10" bass drivers in a cabinet in the boot. The system uses a 5 channel amp, with the front and rear speakers doing 180 Hz and 130 Hz and above respectively. The bass drivers do 15-130Hz. This works rather nicely for all types of music, from banging garage, to rock, to discussion on Radio 4.

In my 1.7 TI, I had a similar setup, using some Sony 3.5" in the front, some cheap JBL 6x9 in the parcel shelf, and a Jensen powered Zeus 12" in the boot. The mid tops were powered by some old Kenwood KAC amplifiers, but the system sounded almost as good as my current one, mostly because I used a X-over again. The Sub did 130Hz and below. The 6x9 did 130Hz and above, whilst the Sony 3.5" only did 350Hz and above.

However, I am, by trade a Pro Sound Engineer, so good sound is important to me. I also know how to set up the system to my taste, and to the acoustics of the car. I am also a lucky bugger, who fluked the install. I fear E300 may not get you very far down the road to audio succes. I would also beware of second hand, as people very rarely set up or wire in the equipment correctly, so can be burnt out by the time you get it.

In the first instance upgrade the existing speakers, but don't expect magic from 3.5". Then upgrade the head unit, then add a sub as money/space allows, more mid-top speakers, more amps, better speakers.....etc, etc

Matt

Ex Alfa 33 'GTA' (P4 with Knobs On)
Now cruising in a 166 3.2 Ti!!
sudman
Alfasud

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are going to go with a sub, I would suggest not putting 6x9s in the rear, all they do is ruin the staging effect that front speakers enable in a car.

Personally, I would spend the cash on a good CD head unit, and a pair of quality 6.5" two way component speakers, that way you are assured of a quality sound where it matters - in the front. Amping them via a small amp (around 2x50wrms) would be preferable but not necessary.

Then add a sub... something like a 10" in a small sealed box would not impede on boot space too much, and also sound good, not overpowering.
Matt Stolton
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 11:25 am    Post subject: I disagree Reply with quote

The sound staging in my present system, and the previous with the 6x9, wasn't far short of pseudo surround sound.

By having the X-overs in place, you could generate some particularly pleasing effects, where solos, guitars especially, would suddenly jump from the sound stage/mix. Most of it depends on how the engineer played with the mid frequencies when it was recorded, but a lot of good rock tracks give a mid boost to instruments at solo time. Similarly, a lot of dance tracks have the vocal's mids/presence played with in the studio, to give similar pycho-acoustic affects, which, with the sound system in good balance, can lead to some startling effects.

My favourite was on an Eminem CD, where the line of the song is something like "I'm sitting in your back seat with duck tape stretched out", but the sound of that line and the following rip of gaffer tape really did sound like it was from behind you, which shat me up the first time I heard it.

Admitedly, I was lucky with choice of components, but, because of my job, I managed to wring the best out of what I have got installed. The current install is only around 500W RMS all in, and all fitted for under £1K, but it puts a lot of very expensive (6-10 times more) systems to shame. The general comment is one of clarity and punch, and no distortion. Due to the lack of distortion most "audiences" don't understand the actual volume is very high too, as the human brain only generally perceives loudness with distortion. (A 50W guitar amp distorting nicely is perceived by the brain/ear as being louder than the 5KW system the rest of a band is going through)

Anyway, whatever you decide on, spend as much time setting it up, as you do installing it, and you will come close to good. Anything can always be improved.....

Matt

Ex Alfa 33 'GTA' (P4 with Knobs On)
Now cruising in a 166 3.2 Ti!!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum