Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Steering lumpiness, ride anomalies

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matthew Kirkcaldie
Alfasud

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 2:02 am    Post subject: Steering lumpiness, ride anomalies Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Having some steering and ride roughness in my Series I twin carb 1.5, which I had attributed to either brakes or suspension problems. However, we've had the rear proportioning valve recently replaced and the mechanics swear the brake systems are A-OK. Also had front strut bearing replaced, and rear shocks replaced (nothing fancy) and some problems remain.

The problems are (a) a bit of shimmy or shake in the ride, especially as soon as the surface is anything other than dead smooth - feels like a kind of shudder, perhaps from the back, and a bit of uncertainty in direction. On smooth road all is well. Also, (b) the steering suddenly went a fair bit heavier while my wife was driving, she said that it just happened during a drive without other incidents. Now it can be a bitch to turn at times, and occasionally feels like it's stuck in one direction. My mechanic had a look at the rack and the linkages and there's no lag or play in the system, so the only suggestion he had is that the linkages are a bit dry.

Anyone have any good ideas? I wondered if a wheel alignment is in order.

Oh yeah - when I accelerate it often feels like the car is rocking forward slightly, as well. Had a look at the engine mounts and they seem OK, and no cracks are visible in the chassis.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Cheers,

Matthew.
jobrien389
Alfasud

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 10:30 am    Post subject: SIMULAR PROB Reply with quote

I am experiencing simular problems , as post to thios group earlier on this.
what was reccomended wass to check suspension mounts. I get a kind of rumble and assorted knock if driving along anything less than new road surface. so I am going to look itnto this. check my previous post on this subject knocking noises (or sometyhing like that)
#
Best
Jonathan
Matthew Kirkcaldie
Alfasud

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 1:05 am    Post subject: Update - steering fixed itself Reply with quote

As mysteriously as the steering heaviness problem appeared, it decided to disappear yesterday while my car was parked. I have no idea why. Everything is as light as a feather now and there is no getting "stuck" in a direction.

When you say suspension mounts need checking, I assume you mean the rods in front and behind. I had a look at those when my car was on the hoist the other week and couldn't see a problem, but I might check them again. The mounts for all the shocks have been replaced / checked.

Cheers,

MK.
ak863

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 9:16 am    Post subject: steering problems Reply with quote

i have the following problem (1.7ie with power steering).

when i turn the steering wheel it makes a weird noise (like it is scratching another surface).
and the weirdest is that when i do 2 and a half circles on the right , the front right side of the car is lifted "a bit" high!!

any ideas why? the power steering liquid looks ok.

also the radiator fan opens up at 100 C!!!
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Suspect the problem with one side rising up is that the strut pan bearings are shot, and that when you turn the wheel it is trying to keep the strut pan in the same position as the lower strut, with the spring itself sliding

All theb est

Keith
Jas
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 5:49 am    Post subject: Nylon bush in steering column Reply with quote

I guess it's kind of a late reply, but I thought I throw in my 2 cents.
I had some very heavy steering, But also some play in the shaft. Instead of replacing the obviously collapsed nylon bush in the steering column(no bearing), I replaced the whole shaft assembly with a good used one. Threw on a Momo corse at the same time. Problem solved
I did notice however that the steering tends to be heavier if you have the adjustable steering column in the up rather than down positions.
Mine is an early model though - instrument panel moves with steering column adjustment.
Matthew Kirkcaldie
Alfasud

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 1:23 am    Post subject: Thanks Jas Reply with quote

Mine is the same series I - I had considered replacing the steering column but am unsure how much work it's going to be! I have access to a parts car in the near future and may try some experimentation.

Thanks for the advice!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: